Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capturing from VHS player on PD 365
Nashville Steve [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2022 21:24 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have several VHS tapes I want to convert and edit, but have no idea which hardware & drivers will be recognized and capturable by PowerDirector 365.

Exactly what hardware and Drivers are compatible to interface from a VHS tape player to PowerDirector 365? There are so many options, e.g., https://sweetmemorystudio.com/best-vhs-to-digital-converter/, but I know some won't interface with Windows 10 or PowerDirector 365.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have the first one on the list. Any of those listed for the Windows pc should work as many users are successful with whatever they have.
Nashville Steve [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have the first one on the list. Any of those listed for the Windows pc should work as many users are successful with whatever they have.

Thanks very much!
Nashville Steve [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have the first one on the list. Any of those listed for the Windows pc should work as many users are successful with whatever they have.

What version of Windows do you have? I have Windows 10. I just read this on the Amazon page https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VM60I8/?tag=sweetmem-20&th=1

Questionoes this work with windows 10?

Answer: As far as I know it doesn't. I bought this somewhere else and was even sent a replacement directly from the company itself because the one I had was not working on my Windows 10 computer. Replacement also had the same issue. You will hear the audio but will not see any video. I initially thought it might be a computer issue since it worked on my Windows 7 computer. I recently got another Windows 10 computer and when I tried this device on the new computer I was facing the same issue I was facing with my older Windows 10 computer. So it can be confirmed it does not work in Windows 10
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The Diamond absolutely works in W10.
The Vidbox (for PC) is also a good choice, perhaps the best on this list. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Nashville Steve [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The Diamond absolutely works in W10.
The Vidbox (for PC) is also a good choice, perhaps the best on this list.

Thanks a million, Barry!
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Here's my tutorial on the Diamond VC500 to capture tape-based video.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The FIRST thing you should be paying attenton to is the VCR.
With few exceptions I submit that most any S-VHS player is built better and has a better cleaner video signal than a VHS player.
You should capture using the S-video, not RCA video.
Results of course have to do with condition of the machine, and the tape.
An S-VHS player with TBC built in is even better, but price/condtion.
How bad to you want to have good quality today and not do this again in 4-5 years when the needed equipment is older, rarer, and pricier?
If you are in NTSC land, avoid DV capture, it is unforgiving and highly compressed, always prefer S-video, especially if you want to fix colors, anti-shake, any processing at all.
I actually just paid for my JVC-S7800U to have a few mechanical parts repaired and 10 new caps, plus of course a good lube and clean. That alone was $160, but it's one of the best S-VHS players ever made and well worth it.
Find a good player, watch out for Ebay, but you can always resell good equipment with little to no loss.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 08. 2022 16:16

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Nashville Steve [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here's my tutorial on the Diamond VC500 to capture tape-based video.

Hello Steven,

I ordered the Diamond VC500.

So they now enclose an installation disk for PowerDirector 12!

After watching your video, I have successful begun to upload and edit video from my VHS player to my laptop.

Althought I have PowerDirector 365, I just have used PowerDirector 12 to conveniently edit the video I have uploaded.

Thanks so much for your help! I have wanted to start converting my several VHS tapes for a long time, and now have the capability to do so!

Steve Stewart
Nashville, TN
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
That's great news! Happy moviemaking!