Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why 4K video cannot be added/imported to PowerDirector 20's Media Content?
bjch512 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 21, 2021 23:32 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I downloaded a 4K video from Youtube but it cannot be added to PD 20 Media Content. Only its audio is added. Then I download the same Youtube video with 2K quality. The 2K video can be added to PD 20 Media Content without issues. Can someone please let me know why 4K cannot be added but 2K is okay? Both 2K and 4K video are from the same Youtude video.

Thanks & regards,
Lee
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I downloaded a 4K video from Youtube but it cannot be added to PD 20 Media Content. Only its audio is added. Then I download the same Youtube video with 2K quality. The 2K video can be added to PD 20 Media Content without issues. Can someone please let me know why 4K cannot be added but 2K is okay? Both 2K and 4K video are from the same Youtude video.

Thanks & regards,
Lee

Same reason as here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85532.page#post_box_353965

Jeff
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks, Jeff.

So even though 2K and 4K videos clips are downloaded from the same YouTube video (just select different quality when download them), they may use different formats. That's why 2K can be added to PD 20 but not 4K?

Thanks & regards,
Lee
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, Jeff.

So even though 2K and 4K videos clips are downloaded from the same YouTube video (just select different quality when download them), they may use different formats. That's why 2K can be added to PD 20 but not 4K?

Thanks & regards,
Lee

Yes, they can use different formats, also can depend on download tool. Use MediaInfo app or webservice to see codec details of the 2K and 4K footage you downloaded.

Jeff
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, they can use different formats, also can depend on download tool. Use MediaInfo app or webservice to see codec details of the 2K and 4K footage you downloaded.

Jeff

I uploaded both 4K and 2K video clips to MediaInfo and found:

Format of the 4K video is "AV1"
Format of the 2K video is "AVC"

Please see attached MediaInfo output files

So PD 20 still doesn't support AV1?

Thanks & regards,
Lee
 Filename
Stunning Mongolia in 2K Gobi Desert, Orkhon Falls and more.mp4_MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
107 time(s)
 Filename
Stunning Mongolia in 4K Gobi Desert, Orkhon Falls and more.mp4_MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
112 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2022 17:28

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So PD 20 still doesn't support AV1?

So the import issue is as I described in linked post, AV1 in your 4k download. No, PD20 does not support AV1. Option is to convert to supported format for editing in PD.

My guess, doubtful PD will support since it never fully supported predecessors like VP8, VP9 (except webm container) which have been around for years. You can always submit to CL for possible inclusion.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
All supported formats are here. Another option besides conversion would be to find a different YT downloader app that saves clips in a supported format.
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]

So the import issue is as I described in linked post, AV1 in your 4k download. No, PD20 does not support AV1. Option is to convert to supported format for editing in PD.

My guess, doubtful PD will support since it never fully supported predecessors like VP8, VP9 (except webm container) which have been around for years. You can always submit to CL for possible inclusion.

Jeff

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Lee
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote All supported formats are here. Another option besides conversion would be to find a different YT downloader app that saves clips in a supported format.

Thanks. I was not aware of this, and though the format of downloaded video is decided by video source and download quality.

I tried a couple of download tools so far to download the following 4K video and they both gave me AV1 format (the one PD20 doesn't support). I'll try other tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFrfiaEsx0&t=2081s

Thanks & regards,
Lee