Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
FLAC Compressed Vs Uncompressed
Runnerbean [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2019 14:38 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
When using PowerDVD, there is an option to Rip from a CD in FLAC. However, I noticed that the FLAC gets compressed to approx 69% on each of the music tracks which gives about 441 Kbps.

However, when ripping from my other software, I can Rip to FLAC uncompressed giving me a 0% compression file with something like 940Kbps. Nearly double what PowerDVD gives.

Does the smaller compressed file mean a degradation of the music file? Compressed is still lossless right? Does PowerDVD Rip compressed but uncompresses during playback.

Thanks.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
FLAC audio can be encoded at different compression levels and might produce the file in different bitrates. But, no matter what the compression level the ripper program set, it still keeps lossless compression.

The audio will be decompressed to its original any way when played back.

Dave
Runnerbean [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2019 14:38 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote FLAC audio can be encoded at different compression levels and might produce the file in different bitrates. But, no matter what the compression level the ripper program set, it still keeps lossless compression.

The audio will be decompressed to its original any way when played back.

Dave

Thanks. So basically the automatic FLAC compression done by PowerDVD is merely to save space but will de-compress during playback?

I wonder why Cyberlink does not give us the option to keep our Flac files uncompressed whilst ripping. These days HD space is plentiful. I've read that the ripped music can degrade slightly in terms of sound during de-compression of the Flac files if playback software isn't fast enough. Something along those lines.

I prefer to use my other Software (payware) for ripping CDs uncompressed then there's no need for de-compression during playback when using PowerDVD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2022 04:31