Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 8 build 2220c officially released
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like the 2220c version that has bounced around is now officially released to the public.

Its available for download in the Download/Updates section for Powerdirector.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
GEAtkins [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2009 15:38 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
thanks. if i got 2220c earlier through TS, do I need to download this new general release, or am i good?

Glenn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Glenn -

I'd say you're good!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I would take a hold on that until more users have tried it. Unless of course you have the time to do some serious testing. New releases always have the potential to go either way. Win 10, i7
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I would take a hold on that until more users have tried it. Unless of course you have the time to do some serious testing. New releases always have the potential to go either way.

2220c has been in use for months behind the scenes. It is not new release, just newly released to the public. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Jorgen [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Fairfax, VA Joined: Aug 30, 2009 17:41 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Since 2220 is listed as a "patch", I installed it over the existing version. The folders and files appear and work normally, but the program appears twice in the Control Panel Uninstall/Install list. Is 2220c a full program? J. O.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jorgen -

2220C is the full program & content pack. I am not sure why it appears twice in the control panel.

Where is 2220 listed as a patch. When I downloaded 2220 it was the whole program too... unless it was a 239MB patch!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2010 17:41

Jorgen [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Fairfax, VA Joined: Aug 30, 2009 17:41 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

the website address says "patches", and the listing for 2220c says "This update file updates PowerDirector 8 to PowerDirector 8 build 2220c", so I installed it without uninstalling the current program - my usual practice - but then noticed that the "update" was of similar size to the existing program.

It works fine, so I suspect that the update just overwrote the original program, but for some reason it looks to Windows like a duplicate installation.

Thanks for your reply.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2010 17:16

J. O.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
When I downloaded 2220 it was a patch of about 43.5MB. Support sent me the full install for 2220c because the patch caused problems on my system. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
As I said - the "update" may a be a waste of time. And talk about confusion ! One user has a "full" version while the download is a "patch" of just 46 MB. Come on Cybertechs lets get this thing right ! Win 10, i7
Matthew [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Adelaide, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2010 04:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
HDedit, where do they get the "full version" patch from? I bought PD8 on line yesterday and have only been able to download 66% of it before DigitalRiver locked me out. I have the licence key (emailed by CyberLink), now all I need is the program!
Cheers
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi HD -

Relax man!

It's very possible that different users "obtained" PD8.0.0.2220 from different sources.

It's also very possible that Jaime's 43.5MB patch, installed over his previous version 2207 was equivalent to the full 239MB version I downloaded.

That possibility becomes a probability - almost a certainty - when I compare the size of the 2220c I downloaded about 8 weeks ago (also 239MB) to the file available for download now - CyberLink.2220c_Patch_VDE090925-03.exe - which is also 43.5MB.

Cheers - Tony

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It's also very possible that Jaime's 43.5MB patch, installed over his previous version 2207 was equivalent to the full 239MB version I downloaded.

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear or I misunderstood the original comment. The patch was 43.5MB, but I installed it over the 239MB v1930. In this case it just installed the parts that needed updating, which is normally a good idea. Mine just went wrong and I needed the full install instead. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
MJR [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan Joined: Dec 16, 2009 18:32 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
So....

CyberLink has provided no guidance.

Are we supposed to download what we seem to think is a patch, and run it? Or, are we supposed to uninstall and then run?

A patch would imply that we simply run it, but I'm wondering about the "program appears twice".

I'm downloading right now, and it looks like it is 43 MB.

I'm also curious how thorough the "behind the scenes" testing was. A dozen people? A hundred?

This software is not known for stability, and I think the "take a hold on that" is a reasonable and legitimate concern.

I can't even find a list of what the patch is supposed to patch!

Anyone have feedback on stability?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: So....
CyberLink has provided no guidance.

Hi MJR -

At the download location, it notes: 2010-01-05 - Updates: This update file updates PowerDirector 8 to PowerDirector 8 build 2220c. For PowerDirector retail and online purchase versions only. Also, when you hover over the inverted exclamation icon, there is a list of issues resolved by the patch. I guess that's some sort of guidance.

Yes - a patch would be installed over existing software. You're right. I wouldn't wonder too long about "program appears twice"... probably just a temporary "glitch" on that machine.

Mu observation, and that of many others here, is that stability has improved with each release. I have no idea of numbers of users involved in pre-testing builds before public release, but I do think it's a positive approach (even if it does result in a little confusion on this page).

Cheers - Tony