Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does powerdvd ultra 9 support HDDVD Disc?
randy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2008 08:15 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have the powerdvd oem that came with the LG blu-hddvd drive. I think its the 7.3 version of powerdvd. Was looking to upgrade to the 9 version. Downloaded the trial PDVD Ult 9 version and installed, and it ignores all HDDVD disc's. Im using win 7-64b. Actually my oem 7.3 does not recognize HDDVD discs either. Is this a win7 thing or powerdvd thing or are HDDVD discs no longer supported? I know HDDVD is dead but still have quite a few discs. I know total-media-theater3 plays the HDDVD's, but the upgrade cost going the powerdvd ultra 9 route is a lot less than buying the arcsoft TMT 3. And powerdvd seems less "issue prone" than arsoft's TMT software. (except powerdvd isnt playing my HDDVD's)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

PowerDVD 9 does not support HD-DVD

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Stock [Avatar]
Member Location: UK Joined: Jul 08, 2006 11:43 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Randy,

Last time I checked PDVD 7.3 Ultra patched to 5711 still worked with HD-DVD's with the LG GGC-H20L, and Windows 7.
randy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2008 08:15 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Got this from tech support. Great response time since most tech support emails to other companies tech support never gets answered. At least it appears someone is home at cyberlink...A+. I think I'll upgrade my PDVD 7.3 oem to the 9 version, and replace my old HDDVD discs with bluray. Seems the best way to go, and the blurays can be played in standalone players also, unlike HDDVD's.

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern related with PowerDVD 9.0 Ultra software.

In regard to your concern, I would like to inform you that the CyberLink PowerDVD 9.0 Ultra software does not support the feature to play the 'HD-DVD' as the Bluray technology has superseeded the HD-DVD technology.

So, if you will use the new version of the PowerDVD 9.0 Ultra software then you will not be able to play HD-DVD's. PowerDVD 9 Ultra supports the playback of Bluray discs.

I would like to inform you that PowerDVD 9 can coexist with previous version of PowerDVD 7 Ultra. You can install the previous version of the PowerDVD 7 with the latest full version of PowerDVD 9 Ultra software on the same computer and play your HD-DVDs.

Note: Please keep both the versions PowerDVD 7 Ultra and PowerDVD 9.0 Ultra version softwares installed on your computer. As in PowerDVD 7 Ultra you can play the HD DVDs and bluray discs but in PowerDVD 9 Ultra you can play bluray discs only.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

Thanks and Regards

CyberLink Technical Support

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2010 17:30

Simon [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 07, 2008 06:39 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Randy,

Last time I checked PDVD 7.3 Ultra patched to 5711 still worked with HD-DVD's with the LG GGC-H20L, and Windows 7.

As far as I'm concerned 4407 (not the 4407a patch because that disables the keyboard) is the last stable version of PDVD 7.3.

The latest 5711 patch disables the audio on HD-DVD playback if you happen to be using an Auzentech HomeTheater HD card as I do in my main HTPC.