Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HD Production
Bob50 [Avatar]
Member Location: Australia Joined: Dec 12, 2008 23:40 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
I have just attempted my very first HD production, I "produced" it in HD and the produced file plays beautifully on my laptop, total size is 3.22GB, nice and sharp.

From there I "created" my file so I can burn it later on a DVD however the created file is only 1.3GB and not as clear as my produced file. I don't have a blue ray player yet so I cannot verify that the created file will burn nice and clear but from what I can see here I may have done something wrong on the create part. Can anyone shed some light please.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The DVD production process inevitably scales down the file to 720x480. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bob50 [Avatar]
Member Location: Australia Joined: Dec 12, 2008 23:40 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply Barry but I have worked out what I was doing wrong. My disk preferences were set to DVD which meant that I was rendering my HD processed file to probably the size you mentioned. When I select AVCHD I am now getting a much bigger rendered file. This is unchartered waters for me so I have learnt something. However, I am still unsure whether to select AVCHD or Blue Ray for my rendered file. I am not even sure what the difference is, could someone advise which one I should choose and what the difference is.

Cheers

Bob
KEN-PD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2009 08:48 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
It could be you are running in to the HD to DVD problem that I found.

You could try to create a 'custom' menu to produce a MPEG2 720/480 DVD file format, and select 'progressive' instead of interlaced.

There are some details a couple of posts back of how to do this.

I usually get much crisper 480 content from an HD file with this approach. Then, that 480 video file will record to a standard DVD if you wish.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I'm going to do just that, then burn the folder with Power2Go and see what happens. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
As I understand it, the difference between Blu-Ray and AVCHD-DVD is just the media that you burn to. Blu-Ray requires a Blu-Ray disc (BD-R), while AVCHD-DVD will burn to a DVD-R. I'm not sure about compatibility with the AVCHD as to whether or not Blu-Ray players will play them, but they should be Ok. Others on here have used that format and will be able to answer a little better. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I successfully burned an AVC-HD folder to DVD-RW.
Too bad it does not play in anything I own.

Next I'm going to make a custom mpeg2 with PD8, burn it with P2G6, and see if the resulting DVD is better than what I've been doing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2010 20:46

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)