Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burning DVD, Jumps from 0 to 90% in an instant.....then climbs to 99 then says error
M13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2009 20:25 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Title sums it up. I use the "smart fit" so I'm always trying to burn DVDs that are 2.4gig. And sometimes it works....and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I waste 4-5 DVDs before it works. That's money adds up.

I'm using the non-blue ray version of PD8. The downloaded version.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Do you produce the movie before creating the DVD? Can you create a DVD folder without using Smart Fit? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
M13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Do you produce the movie before creating the DVD? Can you create a DVD folder without using Smart Fit?

By produce the movie.....do you mean make an MPG file....or create a folder? I haven't tried creating a folder...I've noticed the option though.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
After editing the video, try clicking on the Produce tab and make an MPEG. Then create the DVD from that. You will probably have to add the chapters and and menus. Then, try burning to a folder first. If that works, you can use burning software to burn to a disc.

You may also be able to use third party software to 'Shrink' the DVD, but the legality has been challenged in court, so I can't tell you where to download them. They are free, if you can find them. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
M13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: After editing the video, try clicking on the Produce tab and make an MPEG. Then create the DVD from that. You will probably have to add the chapters and and menus. Then, try burning to a folder first. If that works, you can use burning software to burn to a disc.

You may also be able to use third party software to 'Shrink' the DVD, but the legality has been challenged in court, so I can't tell you where to download them. They are free, if you can find them.

The DVD files are downloads to begin with (all purchased legally of course....cough) But I do need to add subtitles for my wife who doesn't speak English. But I'll try making the folder first.

But then what. Do I just place the folder contents onto a blank dvd and burn like that......using Nero or something?
James Dotson
[Post New]
Using Nero, or similar, create a new DVD Video (maybe DVD movie) and place the contents of the video_ts folder into the same folder in Nero. Then burn. If it is too large, either use a double layer disc, or shrink. Then burn it the same way. What format are your files in? Are they possible copy protected or could there be a codec issue. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
M13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Using Nero, or similar, create a new DVD Video (maybe DVD movie) and place the contents of the video_ts folder into the same folder in Nero. Then burn. If it is too large, either use a double layer disc, or shrink. Then burn it the same way. What format are your files in? Are they possible copy protected or could there be a codec issue.

Different vids are different formats. But it often works with multiple attempts. I'm just tired of wasting DVDs. So I don't think it's an incompatibility issue.....or it probably wouldn't work at all.
M13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Using Nero, or similar, create a new DVD Video (maybe DVD movie) and place the contents of the video_ts folder into the same folder in Nero. Then burn. If it is too large, either use a double layer disc, or shrink. Then burn it the same way. What format are your files in? Are they possible copy protected or could there be a codec issue.

Tried making a folder. Progress bar does nothing for over a minute. Then jumps to 100 and says "Burn succesful". And it creates a 0kb Vob file.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Produce your video first please.

You've mentioned to Jaime that you've mixed matched the video content in your project. When you Produce your project you are separating the write to disc and render the project processes.

1. Render the project - Produce it.
2. Bring the produced video back into PD and create your DVD.

What are you attempting to Produce to? Select mpeg2. Clear out your temp files, use CCleaner to clean your system and then attempt again.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
M13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Produce your video first please.

You've mentioned to Jaime that you've mixed matched the video content in your project. When you Produce your project you are separating the write to disc and render the project processes.

1. Render the project - Produce it.
2. Bring the produced video back into PD and create your DVD.

What are you attempting to Produce to? Select mpeg2. Clear out your temp files, use CCleaner to clean your system and then attempt again.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Well I made a MPEG2 file. Or am making....depending on how you look at it. It's been frozen at 99% for some time now and CPU is working at 35% with nothing else on or running. But the MPEG file is on my computer and is functional. So now what? Just close PD8 or wait another hour for it to finish the last 1%.

Took 40 minutes in total for a 4.4 gig 3 hour MPEG 2.
M13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well the file it made when it froze at 99% is functional. And I used that file to burn a DVD with no problems. So all in all you guys did help. Thank you for your time.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I think you have a corrupted media file in that project.

I suggest you segment the project by replicating the pds file (possibly 4 times with one as a full back up) and then deleting out two thirds of the project from each. The aim being is to make one third segments of your project and to isolate the corrupt media file (into one of them) - to find the cause of the problem. Produce each segment as an mpeg and see what happens. Finally bringing all three back in to complete the task.

I suspect one of the three will fail to produce an mpeg, in which case you have to look closely at the content of that part of the project.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Tim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2009 14:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem discussed above. DVD burn ends with error at 99% saying there is an error. I produced it as an mpg2 and tried to create DVD from that but same error. I used Windows DVD maker with the mpg2 file and it worked fine. Would rather use PowerDirector but keeps wasting DVDs.