Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu Designer - Background Audio
MJR [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan Joined: Dec 16, 2009 18:32 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
The Menu Designer seems to add the "sports.mp3" audio clip as the default background music when creating templates.

There must be a way to change that.

Other menu templates I've downloaded have different background music, so there must be some way.

Even if there is no way to change the default, I'd really like to be able to edit the background music assigned to a template, rather than needing to change it each time I use that template.

Any suggestions on how to change it in a template?

[Post New]
Under the template in the preview window you'll see music clip...look to the right and there's a music note with a + and that will take you to screen that you can search, import and trim etc. the music you want. I think.

This link is to pretty good "authoring" menu design vid. Helped me quite a bit. Good Luck.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CyberLinkChannel#p/u/43/HJMYmFNWLjo

Melissa in Maine "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
MJR [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did discover an "under the hood" way to change the audio.

Let me start with a disclaimer that you need to be careful when making these sorts of adjustments, and realize that in the process of learning you could possibly trash a menu. I would encourage you to experiment with a backup copy. Perhaps MODIFY a menu, then save it as a new template.

And, I'm not in a position to provide tech support. In other words, you are on your own! But this did work for me and I wanted to share with other potentially frustrated users! :

In the CREATE DISC section, on the MENU PREFERENCES tab, you can look under the designer pane on the right and see a line for "Background Music". Notice where it is pointing. It is ultimately buried in your Documents (or My Documents, depending on your Operating System).

Using Windows Explorer, I navigated to that folder. In this case, it was: "C:\Users\....\Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus\3.0\Menu_008\Audio"

That folder contained two files:

std_music.xml
Calligraphy.mp3

Calligraphy was the standard background music for the template.

I right-clicked on the "std_music.xml" file and made a copy.

I then copied a new mp3 file into the folder.

I then edited the "std_music.xml" file. It made three references to the "calligraphy.mp3" file. I changed those three references so that they would instead point to the mp3 file I had copied into the folder.

I switched back to PD8 and tried to re-apply that template. It did not work. I eventually learned that you need to switch out of "CREATE DISC" (I just went back to "EDIT"), and then switch back into "CREATE DISC". I reapplied the template, and there was my new background music, saved in the template!

MJR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Melissa.

Thank you for your suggestion.

You can use that "+" button to change the background music for THAT ONE PROJECT.

But the template does not change.

I need to create a template that I can use many times, and I didn't want to have to make that change every time.

I really appreciate the help!

==> Mike.
[Post New]
Hmmm....whole template, eh? Nice workaround although I would be happy to just be able to get one project to actually burn without crashing.

"Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Mike & Melissa -

I'm not an xml modifier by nature... I'm pretty sure I'd trash more than the menu!

Help me out, here. Would this work?

Menu data (on my PC) is stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\Menus\, within which are folders for each menu template. Inside those, there's a folder titled Audio - containing the .wma and .xml files.

How about:
1. Make a copy of the Audio folder to modify
2. Replace the wma file as Mike suggested
3. Modify the .xml file to "point to" the new file.

Never tried it, but I will. You guys sound like you might know already.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2009 11:42

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Some more detail can be found here :-
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4965.page

I'm fairly sure it still relates to PD8

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian - how on earth do you remember all this stuff? You seem to have a mental catalogue of everything that was ever said.

Bless you, your holiness

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
MJR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes Tony, you've got the idea.

wake1080 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2010 23:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for this info. I wanted NO audio for my template and was sick of having to remove audio from each title/chapter page when I used my template by going to Menu Structure and removing the background music that way.

I used the above info and instead of editing the std_music.xml, I just created a muted audio file (using Nero WaveEditor) and named it Calligraphy.mp3 and copied it to this folder where my menu was saved to overwriting the existing Calligraphy.mp3 file. In my case the location was C:\Users\MYNAME\Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus\3.0\Menu_000\Audio

If anyone wants this MUTED audio file you can get it here http://www.mediafire.com/file/yemznnnmk1j/Calligraphy.mp3
JF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 17, 2010 22:36 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
That's not the way I wanted to get that Sports tune removed, but I'll take that muted file, it's the 70% solution in my book.

Nice work!

JF