Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
frustrated to no end... lost audio, choppy video,(2201) or just not working (2320)
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
Well i have filled out several customer service reports today. It was not my day to enjoy a single movie.

First complaint 2320 did not even play a single movie. It didn't matter if it was blu ray or dvd. It would get 99% and just hang. No logs indicating an error. I did manage to start movies inside Media Center but none of them had any audio at all.

Second complaint 2201 still had video or audio/video or just audio problems. I am using an optical spdif to my AV receiver and HDMI to my TV. I have yet to enjoy one blu ray movie without some sort of problem or multiple problems. i usually see several instances during a movie where the audio just stops and acording my receiver it is not receiving a signal on the spdif. I have seen several times with the video will pause, the audio will continue a second or 2, then the audio drops out, the receiver indicates its not seeing a spdif signal, then the audio starts, the video starts in slow motion , and then things return to normal. I did manage to catch 2 chunky video issues today and the audio managed to play fine then.

PowerDVD 9 Ultra version
9.0.1501.0 was installed
upgraded to 9.0.2201.0
windows 7 64 bit enterprise
bfg 9800 gt oc 1gb
Geforce 195.62 whql drivers for windows 7 64bit
IDT 92HD73E
IDT 92xx audio driver 6224.3 v182
HDMI to the display, optical spdif to the av receiver
single display environment
single display so no clone or extended enabled at this time
I am not using an antivirus software while trying figure out these issues.
CHRIS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2009 23:13 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Possible HDCP issues? I was having that, alot, up to 5 min it the play of the title, as the audio formats changed and HDCP stuff had to adjust. Though I would also get green screens. Was unbearable. Try AnyDVD trial and see if it solves your problem. Solved mine. Though I use HDMI from the comp, to the reciever to the TV.
JAMES [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 11, 2009 09:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect this is a compatability issue with nVidia drivers 195.62

PowerDVD was working for me previously, but have had to do a clean install of Windows 7 (due to the OS completely freezing while connected to the internet - and no easy solution...)

Just re-installed Windows 7, and updated nVidia to latest drivers.
Then installed original download of PowerDVD (2029) and it wouldn't work with my graphics drivers at all...
BD_Advisor agreed the drivers wouldn't work despite the fact they are more recent than the recommended 174.53 driver...
So patched PowerDVD to 2320
And now, it at least tries to play... It plays a very slow slide show of dark screens, one slightly tinted red, one blue, and one green, followed by a very short burst of noise, - and repeat. The time counter processes VERY slowly, as though it is playing at something like one quarter of a frame a second !

My sound drivers et al. are the same versions as on my previous Windows install - I'm pretty certain only the graphics drivers are more recent than I used previously...

Shame that the requirements of nVidia "v174.53 or later" is NOT necessarily true, and that 195.62 doesn't seem to work.

But then 195.62 is a Beta driver, (afaik), so perhaps we don't have reason to complain... And yet, I can't help feeling that Graphics driver versions are about the bleeding edge of 3D gaming, and NOT video playback.

So, all in all, I think Cyberlink are pretty rubbish, and PowerDVD yet again shows how damn sensitive it is to what should be a relatively small change.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

PowerDVD9 Ultra version (2029)
Patched to 2320 (CyberLink.2320_R1(TaRe45)_DVD091117-01.exe)

Geforce GTX 280M SLi
Geforce 195.62 whql drivers for windows 7 64bit
[i.e. v8.17.11.9562 ]

IDT High Definition Audio
IDT 92HD73C1 Audio Driver, Version A02, v6.10.0.6233

Single display on laptop screen (1920x1200)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2009 10:26

JAMES [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 11, 2009 09:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]

To make myself a bit clearer - although I call it a compatibility issue with a graphics driver - I still lay the blame on PowerDVD and Cyberlink.

I just can't believe drivers change so much that video playback should stop working... even high def playback.

[[ From a developers point of view, I'm guessing that Cyberlink are rather amateurish programmers who have tied down their software at too low a level, instead of using higher level Direct 3D calls - so small changes break their software too often.]]

Also, 195.62 isn't a Beta release, so my opinion of Cyberlink is even lower.

Anyway, reverting back to old 186.40 drivers has solved my PowerDVD issues.

So now I'm on the hunt for the latest version in between 186.40 and 195.62 that will actually work...

To be honest, I wish I'd never wasted my money on PowerDVD. And I certainly don't recommend it to anyone else I know.
CHRIS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2009 23:13 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Now that its working I wouldn't mess with it, but you could try turning of the hardware accelleration, and use true theater

I got pissed when I got powerdvd 8, then 3 months later they release 9. Most companies these days give you a free upgrade if it was purchesed inside 6 months. Hell even windows did it if you got a vista computer after july (provided you picked one that stated so).

I wonder how big their development team is? Its funny how Digtal media players have very few problems, but its rediculausly hard to get a HTPC to do what you want with out having to spend months on setup and forums and customer support.

And we have prolly spent 3 or more times the cash to get what we were hoping was to be perfect. Its been a sucky road. At least my setup works 95% of the time now. Biggest problems are now 64bit codecs (not related to cyberlink)