Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My Blu Ray Experience using Cyberlink PowerDirector 8
Alexpho [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2009 20:59 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Folks,

For the past few months, I have been experimenting with PowerDirector 8. Needless to say, it has been a long journey. Overall, it is a very good editing program for the amount ( less than $100 ) that is invested.

Have you guys ever seen Vegas Vacation?? Its the part where Chevy Chase was gambling and can never seem to beat the dealer. That is how I feel after my ordeal.

I would like to share with you my experience and hope some of you can learn from it.

Ok. I went to Disney with my brand new Canon HF S100. I filmed the vacation in 1920 X 1080 Full HD, 24 MBS, and 30 FPS. I'd ended up with over 4 hrs of HD footages stored in its native MTS files. These raw videos were awesome and stunning to watch in its native form.

My goal is to have the best quality video and sound and have it fully edited and onto Blu Ray.

That vacation was back in August and I am almost done here in December, I don't work. LOL

It was obvious that my laptop could not handle the editing of these heavy data files. I've also experimented with various other editing programs with no such luck. So I went out and invested in a brand new Quad Core Phenon desktop, running 32 bit Vista, 2.6 hz, LG Blu Ray burner, 1 T of harddrive, 4 gig of mem, and a 28" 1080 p monitor. I then purchase PD 8 after abandoning Corel VS.

Here are some of the key points when working on a Blu Ray project-

1- The very first step is to take your time. Be very conscience of the size of the files that you are editing, plan the length and your project very carefully.

2- If you are using Blu Ray, it is around 25 gig for the standard disc and 50 gigs for the dual layer. I would sugguest buying the " BD-RE " version so when you make a mistake, it does not hurt your wallet.

3- My goal was to put my project on two separate Blu Ray Discs @ 25 gigs each.

4- My first 2 hrs of editing consisted of various trimming, adding audio, adding PIP, adding transitions, titles, etc. Unfortunately, I would then run into VARIOUS errors when PRODUCING. It would crash and stop rendering, giving some sort of Video error message. I've looked for solutions but with no such luck. The points in where it crashes have no pattern at all. I would then go back into the timeline to where it stopped pick up the rendering. Now I am forced to make the 2 hrs in various " sessions ". It would prove later to be bad in the burning disc part.

5- You must also first create a Blu Ray folder by following the steps posted in this forum ( I don't know why Cyberlink just didn't flagged it active ).

6- So now I have various file segments in MPEG-2 BD 1920x1080 ( because I was unable to render my timeline for the entire 2 hrs without crashing ). The total of the files was 20 gigs ( 1 hr and 52 min ). I am ready to burn. I then added the files in the burning the module. I added the menu, chapters, etc. But for some reason, the menu process added an additional 4 plus gigs. So now the program won't let me burn to a disc. That is why step 5 is very important prior to starting your project. You can save it in a BDMV folder and use it later or on a third party program to burn.

7- Going back on step 6, the program will not allow me to make these files play and burn " continously ". Each segment is treated as a separate file. I hope PD will have an option for this. A workaround would be to put the produced files back ont he timeline and join them. However, from my test results, MULTIPLE RENDERING DEGRADES THE PICTURE QUALITY.

8- Why is there an option to have MPEG-2 1920X1080 BD? I believe that is misleading when your project is in Blu Ray. I then realize the standard file utilized by BR is M2TS. If you plan on burning in BR, you should pick M2TS in Producing and not MPEG-2. Otherwise, the MPEG-2 files will have to be rendered again to M2TS. Unless you truly need to keep the file created by Producing, the best method is to jump from the timline straight to create a disc.

9- When I actually started burning, I then encounter various burning errors. LOL

10- Going back on step 6, choosing MPEG-2 1920X1080 BD option will have a preset whopping 25 MBS bit rate. So by design, you will never fit two hours and menus onto a BR 25 g disc if you pick this option. You may consider a custom bit rate. If my native recording was in 24 MBS ( 18 MBS or lower in other cameras ), you should custom the bit rate to match your native bit rate.

11- SVRT- Smart Rendering.. , sure this could of help but I was rarely given the option. After reading the STRICT criteria on when this feature actually kicks in, it is impossible not to fall into the category when you are editing. I hope PD could change this.

The bottomline is that I do like PD8. I just hope they could fix some of these problems. So where I am at now ? I am almost done my second disc and ready to burn!

Good Luck !
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Aside from Blu-Ray, I have had the worst luck with CD / DVD burners in general.

I have always bought top-of-the-line drives... I had Plextor SCSI back when scsi was expensive. Junk.

Then I bought two other plextor drives. Junk and more junk at about 4X the cost of competitors. Freaking coaster factories. Never touch them or a company near them, again. My opinion.

Anyway, I think CD/DVD/HDDVD/BluRay burners are the plague. I've quit trying to burn... waste of life and money.

I either put it online, USB stick, or any other way than optical media.

If I must burn, I produce to a folder and then use Win7 to burn the folder to disc. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just a tip regarding burning from the old days, they always suggested to burn your disk at a slow speed, not the maximum speed you burner will do.

I have not burned much but I do not burn faster than 4X on my 16X drive.

Cheers

Robert My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Alex,

Very informative. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Alexpho [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2009 20:59 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

First off, I am not at all bashing the program. I do like PD8. I just want them to improve on the functionality and effectiveness of the intended process. I am not a wealthy person. However, I am willing to spend over $4,000 to capture and have in memory my kid's once in a lifetime experience at Disney! And I did.

I am sure that many of us on this forum are here for various reasons. The foremost reason would be to solve your problems and to maximized your answers on the things you buy. It is an expectation. If there is a problem, it should be reasonably fixed. We like to edit videos and we want the best!

Again, PD8 is so close in being the best bang for the buck editing program!!

Here are what they should work on for the next release...

1. To have an option to pick bit rate prior to burning. For example, if I have 20 gigs of combined video to burn onto Blu Ray, and then I was unable to burn because of the overflow caused by the DEFAULT bit rate, I should have an option to reduce or improvised the bit rate prior to burning. As of now, it is only offered during the Producing stage, prelude to the burning stage.

2. Cyberlink needs to look into why the program is crashing. After experiencing so many crashes, I still can't figure out the pattern of it all. But usually, it starts at the ending of a clip/transition. My theory is that the program can not handle lengthy timelines nor mulitple actions that commences at once. For example, start a cue with a trimmed video along with audio, effects, title, and transition. Most likely, that is where the point of the crash would be.

3. Another suggestion would be to have the ability to " join " files when at the menu and editing stage. For example, if I join files, I would like to have the option of treating as one whole file/movie, playing continuously. As of now when I join multiple files and burn, the receiver ( a grandmom in Kansas or California ), must recognize that multiple files exist on the DVD, and the " next " chapter button will not take them there, but it is there. It is known as a " scene " and chapters exist within them.

4. Apparently SVRT is a very good technology to have in expediting the rendering process. However, if you have two hours of compliant video that happend to falls under the rules of starting SVRT, it should smart render. However, throw in just one transition in those videos, the system will re-encode the entire timeline. This must be fixed !! The system should look at the entire " compliant " bulk timeline.

5. The ability to drop a video clip into any audio or voice timeline, and the system should understand to understandably keep only the audio portion. As of now, we need to extract the audio first and repost the audio.

6. The ability to fully utilize the " copy " feature of our clips. It would be beneficial to " copy " a clip and then paste back onto the libray. For example, I split a clip from the timeline but have intentions of saving the clipped video later, I should have the ability to copy the item and paste it within the library for later use. If you think about it, it is actually sourced from just one clip from the original clip within the same library.

7- And foremost, the " video errors " while producing. If it is true that the video was " in computer terms ", " non compliant or would not stretched or edit " messages in the producing stage of PD8, the system should had stopped me EARLIER when I put the item onto the timeline. Otherwise, time will be wasted when you are at 85% complete of the producing and then the video error message appears, or experience a burning error message on your $12 per disc BD-R blank disc.

Regards,

Alex

Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Hey, Alex.
After I read your disertation on PD and Canon m2ts (AVCHD) files, I thought I wrote it.
Your "goal to have the best quality video and sound and have it fully edited and onto Blu Ray" using PD, you will have to produce a few short segments in mpeg2 format and to then burn them using the mpeg2 option and you will be limited to about 1hr 52mins of video on a 25GB discs. If you include menus, you'll have to sacrifice some video.

If you insist on editing m2ts files while they're on the video track in PD and then burn them using the H.264 option, PD will re-render those files and they will lose their original quality.

After much experimentation, I have given up doing any edits that effect the video on the video track ie: titles, transitions, PIP.
(You can add chapters and edit the audio on the audio track.)
This is how I am currently burning about 2hrs 45mins on a BD with quality equal to the orignal Canon files.
(such a shame)
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8729.page The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience - I don't do burning, although I read your post with interest, but I'm sure others will benefit from your comments.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Aaron in BNA
Newbie Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 16, 2009 11:43 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Alex,

I too greatly appreciate all the time you have spent with this thread. I will keep this link as a resource.

Take care,

Aaron Just because you can, doesn't mean you should !
Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
As of today, I am more comfortable adding edits, titles, etc, to my projects.
After build: 2704, editing got better.

**Supported AVCHD camcorders""
•SONY HDR-SR1
•SONY HDR-UX1
•SONY HDR-CX7
•SONY HDR-SR7
•Panasonic SX5
•Canon HF10
•Canon HF11
•Canon HF20
•Canon HFS10
•Canon HG10
•Canon HG20
•Canon HG21
•Canon HR10
•Canon XLH1S

**CL Website, Products, PD-8, Requirments The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21