Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make sure DVDs work on older Players..
Bob Mc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2009 20:50 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
I've got a project that I'm burning fine with the PD8 and I'm starting to use ImgBurn to speed things up and both burn fine. However I notice that when I test it in my older DVD player, probably at least 7 plus years old, it won't play, (either the PD8 or the ImgBurn copy), but both will in the newer player.

However I did notice that the PD8 version will play in Windows Media player (no sound , sure that's a codec thing) but the ImgBurn will not. I'm not so much worried about that but would like to get know if I'm missing a setting in the ImgBurn or not. I'm using the directions I found in the fourm that pointed me to here: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632

I did download Media Player Classic Homecinema and all appears to work fine there but again would just like to make sure I'm doing things right in the ImgBurn before I burn a bunch of more copies.

Thanks
Bob

The DVDs i'm using are Maxell DVD -R PD15
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz Quad Core
ATI Radeon HD 5670 -1Gb Mem
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
That old of a player can be pretty fussy. Some couldn't play DVD-R, some not DVD+R. I'd look at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&Submit=Search&Search=Search&orderby=Name&hits=50 and see if your old player model is there and what luck others have had.

Many older players expect UDF 1.02 so make sure that is set in ImgBurn. Stop the grief, for $30bucks (US at least) you can get a DVD player that can play about anything.

Jeff
Bob Mc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2009 20:50 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks JL, sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I do have a newer DVD player and they work fine using it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a step somewhere in the ImgBurn process, which it doesn't sound like I am. I figure most people I making this for it will work, and if doesn't then I'm not going to worry to much considering I'm doing this as a favor and at my own cost.

I just happen to have the older player down stairs and I'm to lazy to walk upstair and test each DVD one at time...

Thanks,
Bob PD15
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz Quad Core
ATI Radeon HD 5670 -1Gb Mem
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Bob,

No I didn't miss anything about your players.
About the best you can do is make sure ImgBurn has UDF 1.02 set in the drop down box. If you believe in slight margins you will notice that the site I provided based on users input shows 91% of players tested (4494 players) could play DVD+R while 94% of players tested (4933 players) could play DVD-R.

Jeff