Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Reconnecting missing files in the timeline impossible..???
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2018 14:47 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Hello guys,

when files have been moved outside of the project, you get the popup to relocate missing files via the "BROWSE" option...so far, so easy.

Unfortunately this popup is so dumbly designed that the original path of the files is not shown in full length.
So if you have several missing files and you cannot resolve all the files immediately, later in the timeline view, the files you did not reconnect are shown with a "?" symbol in the timeline.
This would be no issue as long as if I would have any option to relocate these files now....but I dont find anything!!??

And the crazy thing is that if you have partly reconnected some missing files via the popup, PD does not trigger this popup anymore even there are still missing files in your project...!!!

This seems to be one more big issue on my long issue list for PD...

Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Robin
[Thumb - missingFilesTimeline.png]
 Filename
missingFilesTimeline.png
[Disk]
 Description
Symbol for missing files in the timeline
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote And the crazy thing is that if you have partly reconnected some missing files via the popup, PD does not trigger this popup anymore even there are still missing files in your project...!!!

Based on what you've posted, it seems like you may have saved the project at some point after only partially finding some of the missing clips. If so, it should help to go back though the autosaved projects to find the first instance after you moved the clips, or even the last saved version of the project when all clips were intact.

I don't know why you moved the clips from their original locations, but if you could place them all in a single folder now PD should find them all and would only need to prompt you to browse once.

If putting them all in a single folder isn't possible, PD should prompt you for new folders only when it can't find a clip in the original or the newly-set "browse to" folder.
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello optodata,

first of all thank you for your answer and a happy new year to you!
See

Based on what you've posted, it seems like you may have saved the project at some point after only partially finding some of the missing clips. If so, it should help to go back though the autosaved projects to find the first instance after you moved the clips, or even the last saved version of the project when all clips were intact.

--> That was a good advice and helped me so far, great!! :

If putting them all in a single folder isn't possible, PD should prompt you for new folders only when it can't find a clip in the original or the newly-set "browse to" folder.

--> Yes, putting them in a single folder is no option for me because I often work with different file formats (jpeg, different video sources that I organize in different folders) and I even used files from different drives.

As I said, your trick helped me so far but to be honest, I'm once more disappointed by the software again:

1. The popup is not helpful by not showing the whole file path!!!

2. It's a shame that there is no later option to reconnect all missing files!!!

I need to prevent myself from any further frustrations and will give Davinci Resolve a try now.

My list of KNOWN bugs is getting too long now!

But thank you again my friend.

Best wishes,
Robin

P.S.:

Although your advice helped me, I did not mark your post as an answer to let the Administrators have a look over it.
It's just a workaround, and it should be fixed by better options as mentioned...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2022 15:03

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Cyber-Rob, you can see it's been a issue for a long time, like this prior post, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/52056.page#post_box_272712 where I posted all the content in this users pds file for that user to help migrate the missing file issue.

I often have multiple camera shoots and many video files with the exact same name so some options listed here are not viable, my workaround was to write a little script to post the used timeline contents in the pds as shown in that link.

Various approaches by all to get around the multitude of items that are never addressed, appears CL would rather rollout a new song or font package.

Jeff
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello JL_JL,

thank you so much for your post my dear!!

For one thing, I can see that I'm not the only one having trouble with it.
For another thing, it is good to know that I can just drag & drop the PDS file into notepadd++ ...that is a big help!!

But it's a shame that CL is really ignoring our trouble for years now!!

...btw, would you like to share your script...?

Best wishes from Munich,
Rob

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2022 09:05