Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SRT subtitle file isn't importing correctly
dragon123456 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2015 11:58 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi fellow members

I am trying to import an SRT file into my PowerDirector project. I've done this several times before and everything has worked well.

However, this time, when I import the file, the sentences of the subtitles are breaking into very small chunks of one or two words, and their timing has gone wrong as well - they are all a second or two out.

Any idea what can be going wrong?

Thanks!
[Thumb - Broken subtitles after import to Cyberlink.PNG]
 Filename
Broken subtitles after import to Cyberlink.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It might be a text formatting issue. Would you be comfortable sharing the .SRT file here so other people can try importing it on their systems? If so, click on the Attachments button below the forum's text reply box. It looks like this:

Please also let us know how long the project is you're working on so we can make sure there's enough content on the test project's timeline to handle all the subtitle entries.

dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for the response.

I've uploaded the .srt file.

The process I've used is a bit convoluted, but the quickest way I've found to create simple 5 minute natural videos that I'm happy to share.

In case relevant, here's what I do every time I record a video:

1. Record a video using a webcam and a separate mic, creating an MP4 file

2. Put the MP4 into PowerDirector, adjust the lag on the audio and video by unsplitting them and moving the audio backwards so the video starts 3 frames early. Then I recombine audio and video, and trim a second or two at either end where I've given myself a moment before starting / after ending. That's literally all the editing I do. Then I produce the video as an MP$.

3. Upload the MP4 to YouTube privately. Wait for it to generate subtitles automatically.

4. Edit the subtitles very slightly (capitalise letters, add punctuation, remove 'ers' etc). Then export the subtitles as an srt file.

5. Go back to the same PD project, and import the srt file. Usually at this stage (and I've probably done this 3 times before?), everything works perfectly, and the subtitles appear just as they were in the youtube version. But today nothing I do will stop the words all splitting up and I really don't want to spend hours doing the subtitles manually in PD.

6. Then I normally produce the project again, and publish it on YouTube.

Any insights would be very gratefully received. We're now 19:00 in the UK so I am unlikely to be back with this again until tomorrow because I'm tied up from shortly. Thank you so much again
 Filename
captions (1).srt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
76 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the details. From what you describe and looking at the contents of the .SRT file, the issue looks to be coming from YouTube's subtitle generator as that's what's formatted the text the way it is. PD isn't involved in any way.
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much - that's really helpful. Not particularly the answer i wanted as I have no idea how to get YouTube to do captions like it usually does, but very good to know where the problem is.
optodata
[Post New]
It might have to do with the pacing of your speech in that particular video.

You can open the .SRT file in any text editor (like Notepad) and manually move the isolated words to better locations, then you'll need to delete the original text for the time markers. You may also want to adjust the ending time markers where you've moved the isolated words to so each modified subtitle will remain on screen for the appropriate amount of time.

It's a tedious process but at least it's pretty straightforward.
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you - again! Yes, probably too time-consuming for me to fiddle with timings etc. Let's hope I'm back to normal speech pacing in the next video because it's been so helpful to have youtube transcribe so accurately and with helpful spacing up til now. Appreciating your input