Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to improve image quality of JPEGS in exported MP4 clips?
J## [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2021 15:34 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm working with a basic version 15 of PowerDirector, the extremely limited version which came preinstalled on my Dell desktop. I haven't installed any updates since, but have been somewhat successful in editing some rough audio/video/photo compositions together.

Have downloaded a cache of jpegs off the web I'm trying to edit together in short exported videos (MP4s). Most of the JPEGS are fairly small, i.e. 300 by 200 pixels or so.

Half of them look okay when added to timeline, the other half look noticably granier and worse. I haven't been able to isolate any particular way to identify or predict this.

I know that increasing the size of a JPEG will generally cause it to lose resolution. Still, are there any tricks I should be aware of inside PowerDirector that can offset this once the pics are added? Also, is this even the correct approach in the first place?

Backing up, I've already tried running the JPEGs thru another seperate program before importing them to the clip editor (GIMP was the one, it was free to donwload) to touch them up as best I could, but the results were underwhelming.

I've heard that Adobe Photoshop is the answer for these problems, but I believe it's expensive. What options should I explore with the tech I already have, if any? Or are downloaded JPEGS just a lost cause?

I will clarify anything as needed if responded to. Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2021 16:06

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Assuming you are producing a 1920x1080 resolution final product, working with 300x200 resolution images is a real fraction of the resolution you need. Basically, you need about 35 of those pics in the 1920x1080 frame to match proper resolution. Your best bet would probably be to use one as a blown up blurred background and then put like 4 or more pics in smaller PIP frames to keep resolution up. You don't want to stretch those small resolution clips to full frame.

Jeff
J## [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Assuming you are producing a 1920x1080 resolution final product, working with 300x200 resolution images is a real fraction of the resolution you need. Basically, you need about 35 of those pics in the 1920x1080 frame to match proper resolution. Your best bet would probably be to use one as a blown up blurred background and then put like 4 or more pics in smaller PIP frames to keep resolution up. You don't want to stretch those small resolution clips to full frame.

Jeff

Yes, the output for final MP4 is set to 1280x720 atm, so not even that sharp or precise, but at least half the pics I've got even at that range are borderline unuseable when exported. It's strange though, because maybe 40% end up looking decent - I thought for awhile it was only the larger JPEGs (i.e. 700x500 pixels) where that was the case, but that pattern doesn't hold on closer inspection. Those pics that PowerDirector preloads when you start a new project look great, I notice. And they are JPGs. But they are also at the high resolution you quoted already, so maybe that's why. GIMP has a feature that enhances resolution for images, but it seems to only relate to printing - at least according to the tutorials.

Thanks for reply Jeff. Is there another pic format and perhaps even an associated website you'd recommend that would work better with the program on this kind of thing? FYI, I'm cutting together 5 minute vids with random pics I'm finding on Unsplash or pinterest - these aren't pics I'm taking myself. Collages with random (and non-copyrighted) dross from the web, if you will.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2021 18:48

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure what type of images you are needing, maybe try a image search on google and use the size feature in tools to limit search to higher res images. Some software, Topazlabs for instance, can scale some images rather effectively without massive quality loss. There are also some free websites that work to scale some images too, depending on pic content.

As mentioned prior, the other option is to use a background and PIP so you don't scale up the size to lose resolution on these poor quality Pinterest pics.

Jeff
J## [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Not sure what type of images you are needing, maybe try a image search on google and use the size feature in tools to limit search to higher res images. Some software, Topazlabs for instance, can scale some images rather effectively without massive quality loss. There are also some free websites that work to scale some images too, depending on pic content.

As mentioned prior, the other option is to use a background and PIP so you don't scale up the size to lose resolution on these poor quality Pinterest pics.

Jeff

It's basically the type of image searching that easier to do on a site like pinterest because at the very least they recommend things in a compelling way. Searching via google image might be the way to go, but it will be much more time consuming. Still, it is a good idea.

The options within the PD version I've got are so sparse that I don't know if the PiP feature is even that workable, but I will look into it. I think I just need to face the fact that the method I'm pursuing is okay for a prototype (which is fine), but anything I want to eventually show to people is going to need much better tools. Or at least better quality data to put into the tools I've got.

I appreciate the response.