Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
black at the start of a thumbnail preview in Twitter, Reddit
dorianzod123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 26, 2021 15:12 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hiya,

Just recently purchased this software.
I often make a 15 second little video that I upload to Twitter/Reddit that shows a quick preview of a longer one and then put the link to the longer scene.

Twitter/Reddit usually just grabs the start of the video to create a thumbnail so users looking at the post or tweet will see a little thumbnail imageand play button

however, if I do this little video with PD , twitter and reddit just show an black image video preview. This is bad because people are not as inclined to click a black thumbnail, now if the user does click it the video plays normally.

I have used a few other softwares before and have never had this issue
I wanted to know if I am doing something wrong or is there a setting?
Thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PD has no feature to define video thumbnail. This twitter help may resolve your question: https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/media-studio-faqs

Jeff
dorianzod123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PD has no feature to define video thumbnail. This twitter help may resolve your question: https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/media-studio-faqs

Jeff

I don't want to select a thumbnail, I just want to know why PD offers a black thumbnail at the start of the video
Twitter and Reddit are grabbing a thumbnail from the first frame, with any other software I have used that is an image from the video, with PD it is just black.
dorianzod123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
like this
[Thumb - Screenshot 2021-11-26 163840.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2021-11-26 163840.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, set the thumbnail as was shown in the twitter help to eliminate that issue.

Jeff
dorianzod123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yes, set the thumbnail as was shown in the twitter help to eliminate that issue.

Jeff

I see, an extra step and doesn't seem to work in reddit at all as I am linking to a URL File,
not sure why PD puts the first frame is black, disappointing

will have to cut the little clips in another video program
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
You might try Icaros which is capable of providing Windows Explorer thumbnails then for setting the thumbnail and see if that resolves your url link issue. Lots of services, twitter, Youtube, Itunes,.... all supply a thumbnail setting feature for the issue you note.

Jeff
dorianzod123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might try Icaros which is capable of providing Windows Explorer thumbnails then for setting the thumbnail and see if that resolves your url link issue. Lots of services, twitter, Youtube, Itunes,.... all supply a thumbnail setting feature for the issue you note.

Jeff

yes I can get around the issue, just extra steps. I bought this software for the faster rendering so I could speed things up, which it does do, but now I got to do extra steps to show a thumbnail.. increasing time spent. I use Camtasia, Sony Vegas, even crappy old program movavi edit, all three of them no issues at all on twitter, reddit etc, grabs an image automatically

will play around with PD see if i can find a better solution
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Have you checked the first frame of your produced video to see if it's actually blank? Import it into the Media Room in PD then use the frame advance/reverse buttons to verify.

If it's blank but your timeline content isn't, try producing to a different profile and/or turning off hardware acceleration. That's the only way I can imagine that PD could possibly create a blank first frame.
dorianzod123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Have you checked the first frame of your produced video to see if it's actually blank? Import it into the Media Room in PD then use the frame advance/reverse buttons to verify.

If it's blank but your timeline content isn't, try producing to a different profile and/or turning off hardware acceleration. That's the only way I can imagine that PD could possibly create a blank first frame.

i figured out why it is happening. I always run my videos through Handbrake, for some reason when I do it does this, no idea why as I did the same thing with my other videos on other editing programs in the past but if I just ignore handbrake it seems to work fine in Twitter and Reddit... weird,

since the videos are so short for the teasers anyway i can bypass the handbrake for the little ones so it is a work around
thanks for the suggestions all, I did try the hardware acceleration and profile didnt seem to make a difference there.