Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Embedded DVD Player on Flash Drive?
[Post New]
Powerdirector 15

I have created a project (12 chapters) and have it produced (mp4) and used "Create DVD" to create the DVD menus. I have burned a DVD, but would like to be able to distribute the project to people on a flash drive. When I burned the DVD, I also saved a folder (with VideoTS files) and an image (.iso).

So the problem is, if I distribute just the produced mp4 file on a flash drive, the DVD menus and navigation are not available which would be better for people to have (given the 57minute length of the entire video and desirability to skip to pertinent chapters).

Is it possible to load a flashdrive with the DVD videoTS or iso files and also with and some kind of imbeded DVD player (for windows) that would allow the ricipients to play the MP4 with the DVD menus active without having to load the mp4 onto their computer. Or is there some other way to distribute the video with active DVD menu/chapters on other than a DVD?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have not seen a portable dvd player marketed that is embedded on a flash drive. You can just Choose to Create a folder in the final burn window and then copy the contents to a usb flash drive.That folder can be played with the vlc player on any pc just like it was on a disc.

I create avchd and BD folders (much higher resolution) the same way which can be played with vlc.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
VLC can be a portable media player on a USB flash drive. Just download the zip file version of VLC and put the folder on USB drive, VLC does not need to be installed on a system and can simply run right out of the USB folder just fine. One could also include a shortcut to launch VLC from the USB with command line and load video file as well if desired.

You might also consider a mkv file, you can embed chapters in that as I showed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82940.page#post_box_341914 which VLC can use to navigate as well. PD can't do the chapters, so you have to add them with 3rd party utilities after you "Produce" the mkv file in PD.

Jeff
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
As storage media, CD's and DVD's are slow, serial devices, and editors burning content to them offer menus as the way to by-pass slowly playing everything until you get to the item of interest. Playing them does require a player - either on a PC or attached to TV.
Other forms of memory - such as a usb stick - are essentilly portable RAM, and not slow. Which is why editors normally don't offer menu options for 'fast' memory devices. Rendered files in any playable format - mp2, mp4 etc - stored on them will play fine in a normal computer player such as VLC, and should quite playable when plugged in to a TV that has usb auxiliary input sockets

If you truly want a menu on the output, and storable on a usb device, then produce the project as an iso file. ISO is a standard format for a disk image, and because of that characteristic, a menu can be constructed for the content before production to the target media, which in this case would be a folder on the PC, such as a usb stick inserted in a relevant socket. When finished, VLC will play the iso file, and the menus you created for content access will be usable.

Another advantage of creating an iso file is that, with VLC, you can check the output: surprising how often spelling errors and the like creep into the composition at produce time and become glaringly obvious at that point. In that case an iso file does not waste a disk: you can re-do the composition correcting the percieved erorrs, and produce another iso file version as a check. I'd sugest the slightly different target filename as a means of discriminating between your efforts.

Once you are satisfied with the result in the iso file, you can;

• copy it to usb sticks and distribute them. But note that TV's/Smart TV's with auxiliary sockets usually don't support VLC as a player, so an ISO file probably would not play on such a device; or

• using an iso burner program - there are a number of free such items available - burn the iso file to disk and distibute the disks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2021 19:52

[Post New]
Quote VLC can be a portable media player on a USB flash drive. Just download the zip file version of VLC and put the folder on USB drive, VLC does not need to be installed on a system and can simply run right out of the USB folder just fine. One could also include a shortcut to launch VLC from the USB with command line and load video file as well if desired.

You might also consider a mkv file, you can embed chapters in that as I showed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82940.page#post_box_341914 which VLC can use to navigate as well. PD can't do the chapters, so you have to add them with 3rd party utilities after you "Produce" the mkv file in PD.

Jeff

THANKS!...