Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Convert HD DVD to blu-ray DVD
SweetTasha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2019 17:40 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
I have an HD DVD that will not play on my LG Blu-ray Player. Can I make a copy into the Blu-ray format? If so, will a CD-RW disc be acceptable for the output?

TIA.
SweetTasha.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
If it is a commercial HD DVD, it will have copyright protection on it, so Power2Go cannot copy or rip its contents. You may want to Google a free converter that will rip it to a video file.

To burn the content on a Blu-ray to be played in a BD player, you need to use a blank Blu-ray disc. A CD-RW disc will only have about 700 MB of space, while Blu-rays have 25 GB or more.

Dave
SweetTasha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2019 17:40 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If it is a commercial HD DVD, it will have copyright protection on it, so Power2Go cannot copy or rip its contents. You may want to Google a free converter that will rip it to a video file.

To burn the content on a Blu-ray to be played in a BD player, you need to use a blank Blu-ray disc. A CD-RW disc will only have about 700 MB of space, while Blu-rays have 25 GB or more.

Dave

1. I've copied music Albums on CD that are copyrighted with Power2Go--for my personal use. I think you are saying that, in the case of a movie, Power2Go would simply not be technologically capable of copying a movie?

2. Are Verbatim 97238 16x BD-R the type your are recommending for output? ? Would it be accurate to say any BD-R is OK, regardless of the brand?

Thanks for your help.
SweetTasha.

Is there a description somewhere of the various designations for disc. I mean the -R and +RW, etc?
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Music copyright and movie copyright on discs are very different...technically you are allowed to rip discs to back up the music I believe. Same when we used to copy records and tapes on to other casette tapes. Just a different legal thing with discs...especially Blu-rays, as the movie studios are involved.

The "W" in +RW means the disc is rewriteable, i.e. you can burn content to it, and then erase it later and burn new content to it.

As for BD-R discs, they are in the supported disc formats according to the help, so should be fine:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/power2go/13/enu/02_02_00_supported_disc_types.html

Dave