Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Purevideo vs truetheatre
iieeann [Avatar]
Newbie Location: nil Joined: Oct 21, 2009 21:20 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I would like to know which mode has the best quality, hardware acceleration or truetheatre effect?

How to know if purevideo is working? click on setting during playback or look at the information?

under De-Interlacing mode, there are a few options, only 2 options are readable :weave and bobs; there rest are strings of numbers. Which one gives the best result?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2009 10:16

CPU......: i7-975, evga x58 Classified, Kingston 2000 1Gbx3
Display.: GTX285, Dell 2709W
Hdd......: x25M 80Gb x3, iRAM 4Gb
Sound...: Auzentech HTHD, Psyko 5.1, Razer HP1 5.1, Onkyo TX-SR876 AVR
Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Gateshead, United Kingdom Joined: May 19, 2007 15:54 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi iieeann.

I wil try and answer the questions as much as possible.

Hardware Acceleration these days does not really affect quality as much as it used to as hardware, mainly CPU's are fast enough to cope with the additional usage of advanced features and technologies.

TrueTheatre offers many advanced techniques for improving the quality of sub-HD content playback in PowerDVD 9. I would personally suggest enabling it, set each option to automatic and make sure that the use CUDA option is enabled.

If you are unable to use the CUDA-based effects, try CPU only and see if the quality is OK, as when done using the CPU, the performance impact may impact also on the quality.

PureVideo was originally designed as a suite of GPU-based video decoding technqiues.

You can tell if it is enabled by just checking the Enabled hardware acceleration option, and see if it says PureVideo or PureVideo HD next to it.

Also note, that you can NOT activate PureVideo and TrueTheatre, it has to be one or the other.

Also regarding the de-interlacing options. In the screenshot, you do see numbers listed there and unfortunately, unlike WinDVD which only shows a and option of enabling such acceleration, PowerDVD requires you to understand it properly before choosing an option correcty.

The best suggestion is to choose the entry begining 6CB69578 as this is the CLSID for the hardware acceleration provided by the graphics hardware driver installed on the system, and sometimes can provide improvements over standard DXVA-based acceleration due to vendor-specific optimiztions etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrew Robinson.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2009 14:33

iieeann [Avatar]
Newbie Location: nil Joined: Oct 21, 2009 21:20 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks andrew, I have posted similar question somewhere else and noone has answered as details as you, especially the numbers for de-interlacing.

I noticed that under blu-ray movie, hardware acceleration is enabled even though i disable it under option. During movie the option page is greyed out nothing can be altered.

I have been favoured in hardware acceleration so far and would try the best to enable it; however purevideo is a bit nasty that it does not appear as standalone program in vista and win7, only specific program like wmplayer pdvd supports it. CPU......: i7-975, evga x58 Classified, Kingston 2000 1Gbx3
Display.: GTX285, Dell 2709W
Hdd......: x25M 80Gb x3, iRAM 4Gb
Sound...: Auzentech HTHD, Psyko 5.1, Razer HP1 5.1, Onkyo TX-SR876 AVR