Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Motion Tracking Mask of ColorDirector 9 does not work well
bjch512 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 21, 2021 23:32 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Please see the attached video for details. We tried to use motion tracking mask of ColorDirector 9 (for replacing background) but it doesn't work as expect. Once create mask and start motion tracking, the mask will start missing part of dancers (leg, heads, etc.) masked originally. When this issue happens, we can certainly pause the motion tracking to adjust the mask, but the same issue happens again soon after resume motion tracking. So how can we make motion tracking mask work better and more precise?

Thanks & regards.
 Filename
2021-09-27 23-21-17.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1843 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
299 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The tool will be more likely to automatically track a moving object when the subject is clearly defined and there is little or no background. In other words, the more like a green screen, the better.

In most situations, however, I think it's going to take lots of manual editing to keep the tracking on target, and you'll then need to make sure you're using the right workflow. I'd plan on spending at least 1 hour for every minute of recorded video, maybe double that if you need to have every frame close to perfect.

I spent a few hours today playing around with this feature which I've never used to make a video before, and it's clear that when you use the automatic tracker you need to pause it as soon as you see that it's gone off track. Manually click the back arrow until you get to the first frame that's wrong and use the Brush and/or Erase tool to correct the mistakes, then try the automatic motion tracker again.

Giving it better information when it's started again should take care of the mistakes it originally made in this section, and you'll need to repeat these steps each time the auto tracker goes off track.

Here's a quick video showing these steps:

Once the main tracking is finished, you'll probably need to go though the entire video and use the forward/backward frame keys to change the mask at some or all individual frames. Doing this doesn't change the mask anywhere else and you can make as many revisions as needed.

Here's what that looks like:

Please remember that using the auto tracker or the Track one frame only button will erase all mask frames following the current frame, so don't use either one if you only want to adjust a few parts of some frames.

If you have trouble getting the auto tracker to work in any specific sections, try the Track one frame only button since that will give you perfect control over how each frame is masked.

Even though it's tedious, it will give you great results and may be faster than going back and correcting many frames if the auto tracker is having a hard time.

Here's how to use it in combination with the forward/back review & tweak method:
bjch512 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 21, 2021 23:32 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The tool will be more likely to automatically track a moving object when the subject is clearly defined and there is little or no background. In other words, the more like a green screen, the better.

In most situations, however, I think it's going to take lots of manual editing to keep the tracking on target, and you'll then need to make sure you're using the right workflow. I'd plan on spending at least 1 hour for every minute of recorded video, maybe double that if you need to have every frame close to perfect.

I spent a few hours today playing around with this feature which I've never used to make a video before, and it's clear that when you use the automatic tracker you need to pause it as soon as you see that it's gone off track. Manually click the back arrow until you get to the first frame that's wrong and use the Brush and/or Erase tool to correct the mistakes, then try the automatic motion tracker again.

Giving it better information when it's started again should take care of the mistakes it originally made in this section, and you'll need to repeat these steps each time the auto tracker goes off track.

Here's a quick video showing these steps:

Once the main tracking is finished, you'll probably need to go though the entire video and use the forward/backward frame keys to change the mask at some or all individual frames. Doing this doesn't change the mask anywhere else and you can make as many revisions as needed.

Here's what that looks like:

Please remember that using the auto tracker or the Track one frame only button will erase all mask frames following the current frame, so don't use either one if you only want to adjust a few parts of some frames.

If you have trouble getting the auto tracker to work in any specific sections, try the Track one frame only button since that will give you perfect control over how each frame is masked.

Even though it's tedious, it will give you great results and may be faster than going back and correcting many frames if the auto tracker is having a hard time.

Here's how to use it in combination with the forward/back review & tweak method:

Thank you so much for the details, videos and your time. It helps a lot. Much appreciate!

Using Motiong Tracking Mask is indeed very time consuming. Not even mention if we use this feature to edit a vedio that has multiple fast-moving dancers. But we are still thankfull for this CD feature. Hope future CD can improve this nice feature with more precise algorithm.

Thanks & regards.