Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 20
[Post New]
When is the release date of PowerDirector 20 ?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Those that know can't say and those that can say don't know.

But new versions tend to be released in October or November.
[Post New]
Thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink announced September in latest communication.

Past History:

PowerDirector 19 - 9/2020
PowerDirector 18 - 9/2019
PowerDirector 17 - 9/2018
PowerDirector 16 - 9/2017
PowerDirector 15 - 9/2016
PowerDirector 14 - 9/2015
PowerDirector 13 - 9/2014
PowerDirector 12 - 9/2013
PowerDirector 11 - 9/2012
PowerDirector 10 - 10/2011
PowerDirector 9 - 11/2010
PowerDirector 8 - 8/2009
PowerDirector 7 - 5/2008
PowerDirector 6 - 3/2007
PowerDirector 5 - 12/2005
PowerDirector 4 - 4/2005

Jeff
[Thumb - PD20_Release.PNG]
 Filename
PD20_Release.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
371 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Cyberlink announced September in latest communication.

Past History:

PowerDirector 19 - 9/2020
PowerDirector 18 - 9/2019
PowerDirector 17 - 9/2018
PowerDirector 16 - 9/2017
PowerDirector 15 - 9/2016
PowerDirector 14 - 9/2015
PowerDirector 13 - 9/2014
PowerDirector 12 - 9/2013
PowerDirector 11 - 9/2012
PowerDirector 10 - 10/2011
PowerDirector 9 - 11/2010
PowerDirector 8 - 8/2009
PowerDirector 7 - 5/2008
PowerDirector 6 - 3/2007
PowerDirector 5 - 12/2005
PowerDirector 4 - 4/2005

Jeff
Jeff, you are relentless and reliable in your posts. I'm always watching, though I do not comment very often these days. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
curtain [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2019 21:07 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
There was an email in the last day or two announcing their Aug feature packs and it also said that there will be a major revision in Sep.
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
For me this is a point in time where I ask myself would I/should I upgrade to Power Director 20 or crossgrade to Power Director 365. I get "jealous" of the seemingly endless announcements of the latest "free" additions to Power Director 365 that don't have equivalents in Power Director19 and probably 20 in the future, even though many of these I would never use. I know much of this is marketing hype but it still rankles. What is the general opinion of moving to 365, good, bad, undecided..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2021 16:02

[Post New]
The Summer sale ends 6.9., so expect it being announced on 7.9. already. I just hope they keep the ability to buy their SW. They have already made it rudicuosly expensive to buy (no Director Suite option other than subscription), so I upgrade every 2 years. The day they remove the option to buy the SW, that's day I am done with Cyberlink.

Historicaly I was looking into a Davinci Resolve, but this SW is complex and was kind of slow. In its recent incarnation though (17.x), they have announced speed-up for even notebooks, so maybe a time to look into it again.
[Post New]
Quote The Summer sale ends 6.9., so expect it being announced on 7.9. already. I just hope they keep the ability to buy their SW. They have already made it rudicuosly expensive to buy (no Director Suite option other than subscription), so I upgrade every 2 years. The day they remove the option to buy the SW, that's day I am done with Cyberlink.

Historicaly I was looking into a Davinci Resolve, but this SW is complex and was kind of slow. In its recent incarnation though (17.x), they have announced speed-up for even notebooks, so maybe a time to look into it again.

I had been updating every 2 years, my first was PD10. I bought PD16, but when PD17 came out - I went for the 365 subscription. I always swore I would never subscribe to software (I am old and like to own it ha ha), but I have been very happy with the subscription. Although most of the add-on packs are not particularly good. I mostly appreciate their transitions and text styles. And it is a business expense anyway... 😎 https://www.youtube.com/c/titotimtravels
[Post New]

I had been updating every 2 years, my first was PD10. I bought PD16, but when PD17 came out - I went for the 365 subscription. I always swore I would never subscribe to software (I am old and like to own it ha ha), but I have been very happy with the subscription. Although most of the add-on packs are not particularly good. I mostly appreciate their transitions and text styles. And it is a business expense anyway... 😎

And then you, for some reason, decide to stop your subscrition and all you are left with are - uneditable projects :
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote And then you, for some reason, decide to stop your subscrition and all you are left with are - uneditable projects :

Not really. CL hasn't disclosed specifically what happens to PD's functionality once the subscription ends, but at some point it seems like most or all of the premium abilities will become disabled. Perhaps it becomes something like the trial version - maybe without the watermark?

However, if you ended the subscription and then find out you have a new need for editing or have to go back and revise an older project, you could subscribe for a month and then cancel again once you're finished. I don't think there's any limit on how often that can be done.

That's still a cost than you wouldn't have needed to pay if you have a perpetual license, but at least you won't be totally stranded (unless CL goes completely out of business without leaving any way to recover/convert the subscription product, that is cry).
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not really. CL hasn't disclosed specifically what happens to PD's functionality once the subscription ends, but at some point it seems like most or all of the premium abilities will become disabled. Perhaps it becomes something like the trial version - maybe without the watermark?

I thought it was specifically disclosed here with the "UPDATE": https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78479.page#post_box_321988

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I thought it was specifically disclosed here with the "UPDATE": https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78479.page#post_box_321988

Jeff

Thanks for pulling that up. I'd remembered the ambiguous part of my post before the update but obviously hadn't updated my internal brain state. Or maybe I did and then forgot to retain it 🤷
[Post New]

Not really. CL hasn't disclosed specifically what happens to PD's functionality once the subscription ends, but at some point it seems like most or all of the premium abilities will become disabled. Perhaps it becomes something like the trial version - maybe without the watermark?

However, if you ended the subscription and then find out you have a new need for editing or have to go back and revise an older project, you could subscribe for a month and then cancel again once you're finished. I don't think there's any limit on how often that can be done.

That's still a cost than you wouldn't have needed to pay if you have a perpetual license, but at least you won't be totally stranded (unless CL goes completely out of business without leaving any way to recover/convert the subscription product, that is cry).

No, really not. Subscription is a modern plague of how to drag ppl into the corner and make them dependant. I accept subscription for an entertainment services (HBO, Netflix, Spotify, Tidal), I have a reservations for stuff like O365, but for a solid SW, I just say - no.

The only company, which makes it right, is on1 software. They kind of have a reversed subscription - an on1 Plus program. You pay annualy, you get tonnes of extra material, courses / training and an annual SW release is included. Once you end your subscription, you are left with the latest version you have paid for.

Working in IT for 30+ years, there really was no reason to reinvent the wheel and accept the Adobe invented stupidity, which makes everything more expensive for a client. The concept is called a maintanance payment, usually you pay 20-25% for the ability to use new releases and that's just it.

You can use, what you want. What I hate about Cyberlink is, that they have basically removed an option to buy / own Director suite. You have to buy those programs separately. I have stopped to upgrade Color and Audio director because of that and upgrade Director every 2 years.

Once DavinciResolve have enough of simplicity modes, I am simply out. And their new Cut module might be a good step forward. You can have it all for free, or for 1-2 years of PD subscription you get Studio version along with their new Speed editor HW console. Go figure ....
optodata
[Post New]
Quote No, really not.

To be clear, I was only saying that stopping the subscription wouldn't leave anybody with uneditable projects and that there was a simple way forward.

I have no desire to argue with you or anyone else on the merits or downsides of subscription vs. lifetime licenses, as there are pros and cons of each. Each person has to decide for themselves which option to go with when that choice is present, and whether to stick with a product or switch to another if they're unhappy with a single licensing path.

It's clear where you stand regarding CL products, and the only thing I can suggest is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions if you'd like to tell them how you feel.
[Post New]

To be clear, I was only saying that stopping the subscription wouldn't leave anybody with uneditable projects and that there was a simple way forward.

I have no desire to argue with you or anyone else on the merits or downsides of subscription vs. lifetime licenses, as there are pros and cons of each. Each person has to decide for themselves which option to go with when that choice is present, and whether to stick with a product or switch to another if they're unhappy with a single licensing path.

It's clear where you stand regarding CL products, and the only thing I can suggest is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions if you'd like to tell them how you feel.

I vote with my wallet and that's all they need to understand.