Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video lagging when I digitise footage
Ellymoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2019 03:32 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to digitise a video. Sometimes the footage freezes on an image & takes a while to catch up with the audio. Any ideas how I can stop this happening please? It's an old video but I've cleaned it and the video itself plays fine.

Thank you.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
What is the source and what file type have you done your capture in?
Is the video misbehaving only after you start adjusting colors or add stabilization or other filters? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Ellymoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Capture from Analogue Device on Cyberlink, from a VHS player. I haven't tried adjusting anything.

Is there a way to turn the preview off? I'm wondering if that takes up too much memory.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, so you are capturing from a VCR, using a USB dongle, and PowerDirector.
The tape plays fine.
The capture file is out of sync audio video.
Am I correct so far? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Ellymoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's more like the video freezes every so often and then catches up with with the audio. I'm currently trying it on a different computer with a higher memory.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
My suspicion is you are dropping frames during capture resulting in loss of sync.
What dongle and model VCR? How many tapes?
A TIME BASE CORRECTOR is almost always the solution.
However, at upwards of $2k for a proper model now they are hard to find and afford.
My suggestion is a poor man's substitute for a true TBC.
Get yourself a Panasonic DMR ES10 or ES15 DVD recorder. Do not use the disc recorder, just use the unit as a pass-thru.
You will need the correct remote to shut off the overly aggressive noise reduction.
This will give you at least some ability to correct frame and line sync, those are two different types of TBC.
Oh, S-video and lossless capture is always preferable for quality, but that is another lesson.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2021 08:58

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
One thing I missed in your OP was you stated you cleaned the video. Could you tell us what that means? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Ellymoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply. It appears that the situation is rather more complicated than I thought!

I meant i cleaned the VCR, but perhaps not very well. To try and get the best version of ti I can, I have ordered another copy of the video, and also another VHS cleaner tape. Fingers crossed, as I haven't had this problem with other videos.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You are saying that maybe this is the only tape that you are having problems with. All the others have no problem. Barry does this conversion as a business. Maybe you want to consider his business to convert that tape to DVD. It is in his signature.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Cleaning tapes are a sham. 99% iso alcohol and a lens swab (no q-tips). See YouTube.
And a dirty head will give dirty snowy comets and static, but out of sync a/v is a timing issue.
I have 4 S-VHS players, the more you have, the more ability to find a machine that plays a difficult tape, be warned you may have few chances to capture again.
Some tapes just misbehave. They might be stretched, moldy, sticky tape syndrome, or maybe you have a second third generation copy where the error is already baked in. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Ellymoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for the replies. I also do this conversion as a business (albeit a very small one!) and have been enjoying doing it. Hopefully getting another copy of the video will do the trick. Fortunately I was able to find another on eBay which is not very expensive.

I did wonder about cleaning the machine myself but was worried about sticking things where they shouldn't be stuck!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote Thanks again for the replies. I also do this conversion as a business (albeit a very small one!) and have been enjoying doing it. Hopefully getting another copy of the video will do the trick. Fortunately I was able to find another on eBay which is not very expensive.

I did wonder about cleaning the machine myself but was worried about sticking things where they shouldn't be stuck!

Please, if you are going to charge people $$ to digitize tapes, join DigitalFAQ.com. Read read read surf study read read.
You need S-video, lossless capture, and QTGMC to deinterlace. Just a note: "deinterlace" almost showed up as "drink later". But it's too late, I'm already drinking... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)