Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New starter question
CliveHello [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 15, 2021 13:27 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all
Just want to get started off on the right foot
In preferences, I have set a folder for import. Do you advise I put my original videos and files in there and import to PD. Or, would it be better the originals are elsewhere and I have copies in that import folder?
The disadvantage is I have 2 versions. I am guessing the advantage is that the original is protected from being deleted accidentally - would that be a possibility?
Thank you in advance, Clive

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2021 16:46

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
None of the clips you bring into PD are ever copied or duplicated for normal editing, and none of the original source clips are changed in any way no matter what kinds of edits you perform in the editor.

The only way to have PD physically duplicate/copy your project's clips is if you explicitly choose to pack the project to save all related materials in a folder for use on another computer.

Otherwise, all your original clips will remain in their original folders. Please not that if you delete, rename or disconnect a file/folder for any reason and try to reopen the project, PD will prompt you to locate the missing files.

In older versions of PD, it was possible to physically delete any of your source clips from the Media Library by right-clicking on a clip in the Media Library and choosing Delete from disk.

However, as shown in the screen capture below, the latest subscription version (PD365 19.7.3115) no longer has that option so accidental deletion is prevented.

""

Finally, the import folder setting is one of conveneince, not necessity. You can drag and drop clips into PD from any folder, although if you use the File > Import method the starting point will be the import folder you've already specified.
CliveHello [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 15, 2021 13:27 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful. So I take it that really there's no need to have duplicates of the original clips?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe for archival purposes, but there isn't any need to do so related to making videos.