Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GoPro fisheye removal
Esseff [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 10, 2020 16:47 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
I ordered a used GoPro Hero 7 for my hiking videos and am aware of the fisheye effect they have because of the wide FOV. Not a deal breaker but there will be times when I'd prefer not to have that effect. I think the 7 has a setting to switch from 170° to 127° so that's a step in the right direction but if it doesn't can the fisheye effect be removed/corrected in PD?

Using PD19 Ultimate.
Esseff [Avatar]
[Post New]
FWIW: I googled this and a Cyberlink forum thread came up but it was from 2015 so...
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
The Lens Correction tool in the Action Camera Center is for that specific purpose. You can find it under the Tools menu.

A similiar Lens Correction tool can be found in the Fix/Enhance tools.
Esseff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The Lens Correction tool in the Action Camera Center is for that specific purpose. You can find it under the Tools menu.

A similiar Lens Correction tool can be found in the Fix/Enhance tools.

Cheers mate. As soon as the camera arrives and I've done some test footage I'll report back.
[Post New]
Hi Esseff,
I've played with the lens correction tool on clips from several GoPro cameras over the years.
Generally from the 'Fix/Enhance' menu.
You have the option of many profiles for GoPro.
I've found mixed results with them.
Some profiles seem to over compensate for vignetting and 'Blow out' any detail in the sky in the upper corners.
I played with profiles written for other cameras, and often found I liked the 'Rollei' (7S methinks) profile the best !
(I had read up somewhere that it was a close fit before the myriad of GoPro profiles were made available for download.)
So the advice I would offer would be to load your clip, then apply the lens correction profile you like the most - and don't be too fixed on them being for the 'Correct' GoPro model.
Try out a bunch of them - it only takes a couple of minutes to scroll through many options.
I'm sure you'll find a profile that works for you.
Gerry
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
My advice: Instead of correcting a Gopro 7 wide FOV in PD, which always results in lost of resolution and picture quality, better use a lower recording resolution with your Gopro which enables the linear FOV. For example instead a recording 4k in wide FOV, better record in 2k7 in linear FOV. Linear FOV doesn't need a correction afterwards. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur/PowerDirector365
Hardware: i910900k,32GB,GTX2080s, 1920x1200 display
Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108