Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD19 cut a section of video in middle?
bjch512 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 21, 2021 23:32 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Can someone please tell me if we can use PD19 to cut/remove a section of video in the middle, and keep the parts in front and back in their origianl position wihtout movving after such cut?

Please see the attached screenshot. After cut/remove the section in red, we need to keep both front and back sections stay in their original position before such cut/remove.

Thansk & regards.
[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
After one splits at the two defined points and you have the middle section to remove, just click on it and use "Shift Del" to leave the gap after delete.

Jeff
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your quick response. Much appreciate!

I don't quite get it. Do I need to use "Mark in" and "Mark out" in "Trim unwanted portion from the selected clip" to mark the section I want to remove (please see attached screenshot)? If so, where can I find "Shift Del"?

Thanks & regards
[Thumb - 2.JPG]
 Filename
2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Use the "Split" feature located above the timeline on the left.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_Split.png]
 Filename
PD19_Split.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
999 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you! It solved the issue.

Regards.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Can someone please tell me if we can use PD19 to cut/remove a section of video in the middle, and keep the parts in front and back in their origianl position wihtout movving after such cut?

Please see the attached screenshot. After cut/remove the section in red, we need to keep both front and back sections stay in their original position before such cut/remove.

Thansk & regards.

This video shows how to remove clips/splits and leave gaps. It also shows several other tips on how to manage your timeline.

bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! Very helpful information.

Regards.
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more question on split if you don't mind...

When I select some clip, the split icon is disabled (greyed out). Why and how to make it enabled? Please see 2 screenshots attached, one shows split icon is enabled, the other one shows it's disabled. Both clips are trimmed from original video (but differnt ones).

Thanks & regards.
[Thumb - disabled.jpg]
 Filename
disabled.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - enabled.jpg]
 Filename
enabled.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 03. 2021 17:41

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One more question on split if you don't mind...

When I select some clip, the split icon is disabled (greyed out). Why and how to make it enabled? Please see 2 screenshots attached, one shows split icon is enabled, the other one shows it's disabled. Both clips are trimmed from original video (but differnt ones).

Thanks & regards.

Your timeline scrubber is at the beginning of the clip in your disabled.jpg, so there is nothing to split.

Jeff
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, you are right. That's the cause. It's working now. Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yes, you are right. That's the cause. It's working now. Thanks!

The smallest video piece to split is a frame. So, if you need better control to trim off the beginning of a clip, advance a frame at a time on the timeline or zoom in significantly on the timeline to manually move the scrubber to the frame increment level.

Jeff
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nice to know. Thanks.

I zoom in max as shown in the attached screenshot. It seems the smallest scale on timeline is one frame. If I split clip from the red cursor, tow frames will be removed, correct?

Not sure if PD19 has hot key to move red cursor a frame. Hot keys "Alt + ->" or "Alt + <-" can move selected clip a frame, but not the red cursor.

Thanks & regards.
[Thumb - frame.JPG]
 Filename
frame.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Nice to know. Thanks.

I zoom in max as shown in the attached screenshot. It seems the smallest scale on timeline is one frame. If I split clip from the red cursor, tow frames will be removed, correct?

Not sure if PD19 has hot key to move red cursor a frame. Hot keys "Alt + ->" or "Alt + <-" can move selected clip a frame, but not the red cursor.

Thanks & regards.

Yes, for clip DSC_1274, the split would be 2 frames from the beginning. You can also tell from the timeline timecode (MINUTES:SECONDS:FRAMES) for your current content.

The "." (period) and "," (comma), keyboard keys move fwd and back a frame. You can always reference the timeline timecode under the preview window, (HOURS:MINUTES:SECONDS:FRAMES) too.

Jeff
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, the hot keys "." and "," move cursor properly.

Your informaiton also solves another puzzle I wonder for long time, i.e. what the last two-digits are for on timeline and preview windows, which is 30-carry. Now I know that's the number of frames. 1 second has 30 frames laughing Thank you.