Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video plays back on Panasonic G9 but not on PC
[Post New]
I just purchased a Neewer Motorized slider to take panorama videos and began by testing it out of course.
I was able to play back all the videos on my Panasonic G9 but when I connected the camera to the PC the videos would not play.
So I decided to transfer the videos to my PC but they still would not play on either Films and TV or Windows Media Player.
So I decided to load them on PowerDirector 14 but they still would not play although somehow or other I managed to get them to play but only the audio.
Any ideas please as I have never had this problem before?

Thanks,

Phil. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just purchased a Neewer Motorized slider to take panorama videos and began by testing it out of course.
I was able to play back all the videos on my Panasonic G9 but when I connected the camera to the PC the videos would not play.
So I decided to transfer the videos to my PC but they still would not play on either Films and TV or Windows Media Player.
So I decided to load them on PowerDirector 14 but they still would not play although somehow or other I managed to get them to play but only the audio.
Any ideas please as I have never had this problem before?

Thanks,

Phil.

You probably need to be a little more specific on what your video file consists of. There are probably 14+ different record options (8bit, 10bit, 4K, FHD, 4:2:2, 4:2:0), but more than likely any 8-bit (4:2:0) files can probably be imported into PD ok, none of the 10 bit, (4:2:2) files will import correctly, you will need to convert those.

Jeff
[Post New]

You probably need to be a little more specific on what your video file consists of. There are probably 14+ different record options (8bit, 10bit, 4K, FHD, 4:2:2, 4:2:0), but more than likely any 8-bit (4:2:0) files can probably be imported into PD ok, none of the 10 bit, (4:2:2) files will import correctly, you will need to convert those.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, all I can supply are the details on the .MOV Properties window as follows

.MOV
1920x1080
29.97fps
Data Rate 99648kbps
Total Bit Rate 101181kbps
1.87GB
H.264AVC
MP4

I got some of that from the PD14 screen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2021 23:34

Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That info doesn't show the bit size or color depth. Drag and drop the clip on this page then save the text file with the MediaInfo details and attach it to your next post.
[Post New]
Quote That info doesn't show the bit size or color depth. Drag and drop the clip on this page then save the text file with the MediaInfo details and attach it to your next post.

Dragged the clip and saved the text file but no way can paste here. Simply won't let me.
However, Bit depth is 10 bits and Chroma sampling is 4:2:2 if that is any help.
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I have G9 and the 10 bit 4 2 2 files will not import into power director

only if they were pro res, not mov or mp4

And those files will not play on many computer softwares as well
[Post New]
Quote I have G9 and the 10 bit 4 2 2 files will not import into power director

only if they were pro res, not mov or mp4

And those files will not play on many computer softwares as well

Does the G9 do pro res (whatever that is)?

Regardless the next obvious question is 1. Why does the G9 have video specs (in FHD) that can't be handled by PowerDirector? (Well PD14 anyway) (Never mind about 4K)

And 2. Which software does handle thse specs available on the G9?

And 3. I don't really want to convert the video just to match PowerDirector's lower specs (whatever they might be)

Thanks again,

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra

detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
g9 will NOT do pro res internally

You would need external hdmi recorder for that

If you record 1080 video, power director should take it
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Dragged the clip and saved the text file but no way can paste here. Simply won't let me.

It is as I stated in the very first response. 4:2:2 from that G9 is not supported in PD be it 1920x1080 or 4K. Only 4:2:0 is supported for PD import.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Dragged the clip and saved the text file but no way can paste here. Simply won't let me.

You can't drag and drop to post. You need to use the blue Attachments button below the forum's text box. PD14 can't work with 10-bit 4:2:2 clips so you'll need to change the recording settings for new clips and convert any existing clips with Handbrake or VirtualDub2 to 4:2:0
[Post New]

It is as I stated in the very first response. 4:2:2 from that G9 is not supported in PD be it 1920x1080 or 4K. Only 4:2:0 is supported for PD import.

Jeff

Just found out that Corel VideoStudio 19 plays this video clip with no problem.

Come on Cyberlink! I have used your PowerDirector software for years and it is much easier to use than Corel VideoStudio.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just found out that Corel VideoStudio 19 plays this video clip with no problem.

Come on Cyberlink! I have used your PowerDirector software for years and it is much easier to use than Corel VideoStudio.

Couldn't agree more, real core year over year improvements are rather limited, even PD19, a 5 yr newer product than your PD14 won't help with your G9 and the 4:2:2 issue. You can however get lots of fluff month after month, https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/whats-new_en_US.html with the 365 license approach.

Jeff
[Post New]

Couldn't agree more, real core year over year improvements are rather limited, even PD19, a 5 yr newer product than your PD14 won't help with your G9 and the 4:2:2 issue. You can however get lots of fluff month after month, https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/whats-new_en_US.html with the 365 license approach.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.