Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director does not find browser
Andreas Pfeiffer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 12, 2021 10:31 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am running Windows 10 21H1 (where Internet Explorer got finally removed completely).

Now, whenever I select something in Power Directors menu which would open a web link, I receive the following error only:

"You’re trying to use a feature that requires a web browser on this system. Install and enable a web browser on your PC and then try again"

I know there were solutions previously indicating an installed Internet Explorer is required for this to work. But with 21H1 I cannot bring that back.

Anyone found a workaround or solution already to this?

Thank you
Andi
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
IE is still present in 21H1. Just type IE in the search bar then click on the arrow to the right of Internet Exlporer App

[Post New]
Quote IE is still present in 21H1. Just type IE in the search bar then click on the arrow to the right of Internet Exlporer App

Well, something is definitely different on my side.
Typing ie in the search bar does not give me any result (as I expected really, as MS said they would remove IE from 21H1).

Yes, I can open Edge, this does exist. But it seems Power Director searches for Internet Explorer explicitely when opening Links from their program.

I opened a ticket with Cyberlink, maybe they know a workaround for this...

Andi
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Well, something is definitely different on my side.
Typing ie in the search bar does not give me any result (as I expected really, as MS said they would remove IE from 21H1).

Yes, I can open Edge, this does exist. But it seems Power Director searches for Internet Explorer explicitely when opening Links from their program.

I opened a ticket with Cyberlink, maybe they know a workaround for this...

Andi

Hi,

I can confirm that on my system Win 10 21H1 19043.1083 with Feature Pack 120.2212.3530.0 typing IE in the search box does allow me to choose IE11 - which I have never actually used. None of my PDR products have any issue.

For reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/internet-explorer-microsoft-edge#what-is-the-lifecycle-policy-for-internet-explorer-
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/internet-explorer-11

"Please note that the Internet Explorer (IE) 11 desktop application will end support for certain operating systems starting June 15, 2022. Customers are encouraged to move to Microsoft Edge with IE mode. IE mode enables backward compatibility and will be supported through at least 2029."

If CL provides a solution to your issue, it would be good if you share it here for other members.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator
[Post New]
Finally sorted by this. I overlooked something.

Many thanks for help.

Andi
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can you please share what you had overlooked? Your answer will help other people who might run into the same problem.
jmahun [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 10, 2011 11:26 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
This is absolutely ludicrous. PowerDirector won't allow me to access Help because I don't have an obsolete browser enabled? Sounds like the problem is on Cyberlink's end and not Microsoft's (at least this time).

Hi,

I can confirm that on my system Win 10 21H1 19043.1083 with Feature Pack 120.2212.3530.0 typing IE in the search box does allow me to choose IE11 - which I have never actually used. None of my PDR products have any issue.

For reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/internet-explorer-microsoft-edge#what-is-the-lifecycle-policy-for-internet-explorer-
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/internet-explorer-11

"Please note that the Internet Explorer (IE) 11 desktop application will end support for certain operating systems starting June 15, 2022. Customers are encouraged to move to Microsoft Edge with IE mode. IE mode enables backward compatibility and will be supported through at least 2029."

If CL provides a solution to your issue, it would be good if you share it here for other members.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 09. 2021 14:36

optodata
[Post New]
To be clear this discussion was specifically about how to enable IE as that's one of the ways people have solved the "install a browser" issue. This isn't something that most people encounter, even though IE isn't present or enabled. I'm now on Win11 and certainly don't have IE enabled but PD's internet access works normally.

Too bad that the OP here didn't respond with whatever it was they forgot to do that solve the issue for them. Although it's a minor part of your question, here's a link to the online Help page.

While waiting for other users to possibly respond here, you may want to contact CL tech support directly. You can reach them here.

EDIT: I should add that I agree that this is a ludicrous situation. It's been present for a very long time across many PD versions and it's frustrating that it's still impacting people.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 09. 2021 16:11