Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I change the volume from a specific position non-gradually?
szonar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2021 15:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Please do you know how I can immediately change the volume from a specific position in my audio track?

I want the first 5 seconds normal/loud, then an immediate switch to a lower volume for the remainder of the track.

Doing this manually makes the volume decrease from 00:00:00 to 00:05:00 gradually, but this is not what I want.

Immediate, not gradual.

Thank you.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Please do you know how I can immediately change the volume from a specific position in my audio track?

I want the first 5 seconds normal/loud, then an immediate switch to a lower volume for the remainder of the track.

Doing this manually makes the volume decrease from 00:00:00 to 00:05:00 gradually, but this is not what I want.

Immediate, not gradual.

Thank you.

There are several ways to adjust audio volume.
The simplest is to act directly on the timeline.
Holding the Ctrl key, click the audio line on the wave, mark position a white ball appears, drag the white ball or line up or down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2021 12:20

szonar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2021 15:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]

There are several ways to adjust audio volume.
The simplest is to act directly on the timeline.
Holding the Ctrl key, click the audio line on the wave, mark position a white ball appears, drag the white ball or line up or down.

Thank you. But in the video, there's still a gradient between the marbles, which indicates that the volume change occurs gradually. I don't want a gradual change. I want an immediate change. For now, I will trim the track at the point I want the change, which should allow me to get the desired result.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
You determine the position of the ball.
If you prefer, select the audio and click on the "Keyframe" / Volume button, you can adjust it more precisely XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you. But in the video, there's still a gradient between the marbles, which indicates that the volume change occurs gradually. I don't want a gradual change. I want an immediate change. For now, I will trim the track at the point I want the change, which should allow me to get the desired result.

Hi,

For increased audio editing accuracy :
Preferences>Editing>Enlarge timeline scale for audio track

This gives you 1/10 frame accuracy for placement of audio keyframes.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi szonar -

To get the most "immediate" drop in volume, you could split the audio track at the 5 second mark, then decrease the level of the post-5sec section.

BUT, following PowerDirector Moderator's suggestion (enlarge timeline scale) you can get a very sudden shift too.

Have a listen to the 2 clips attached. 5sec Split was split (shown in Track 1) & 5sec Keyframes was obviously keyframed (shown in Track 2).

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
5sec Split.wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
776 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
85 time(s)
 Filename
5sec Keyframes.wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
776 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
83 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!