Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photo 365 Question about restoring part of photo
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I had a photo of 1 person and was using the selection area tool and the object segmentation tool to remove the background and there was a part of the person's outfit that got removed and turned into transparent that was no supposed to

I know there is supposed to be a quick way to go in and restore that area while still keeping all the other transparent areas

can someone let me know what to do in this case
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It may be easier to use Undo as many times as needed to restore the missing section, but the method you're asking about is available from the Refine tool if the selection area is still active:

If you've already saved the changes and can't select Undo, I think starting over on a new virtual copy would be the best way forward and use the Refine tool as needed to get everything just right before saving/closing PhD.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes I know about that tool but here when I used the other tool to put the frame around the person, there is some areas of the outfit that used that will turn transparent when and I did not want that small part to do that

The refine tool shows foreground and background brushes but not restore

Am I missing something ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I can't see what's on your screen so it would really help to have at least a screenshot. Even better would be a screen recording showing exactly what edting steps you've taken. Again it may be easier to just start over.

To make a screenshot use Alt+Print Screen or the Windows snipping tool (Win+Shift+S) then save the image as PNG or JPG. Click on the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload and share it here. If you make a screen recording, upload it to YouTube or attach it if it's smaller than 100MB.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
here is a pic of that part of the outfit that got selected when I did not want it to
[Thumb - Screenshot (32).jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot (32).jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
920 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Yes I know about that tool but here when I used the other tool to put the frame around the person, there is some areas of the outfit that used that will turn transparent when and I did not want that small part to do that

The refine tool shows foreground and background brushes but not restore

Am I missing something ?

Got it. Depending on which object is the foreground - which I suspect is the people and clothes - use the foreground brush to extend the desired area and/or use the background brush to reduce the desired area. You're basically telling PhD to either include more content in the foreground or to include it in the background layer instead so there's no need for a "restore."
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok thanks. I will try this
[Post New]
Hello detroit123,

You've received good advice from optodata, and this may be too late (i.e. you may already be done with that task) but...

When using the background removal tool, I've always found that zooming in on parts of the photo to correct PhD's "edge assessment" is the best approach.

PIX PIX YouTube channel