Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using PIP Designer and Key Frames
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Dance Video where someone wants me to have a zoomed or scale look for 2 seconds at certain points in the dance like at 17 sec, 34 sec, etc and then back to normal size

I keep trying the PIP designer after I also added a mask to the video and it keeps failing

when I Play back it may start zooming immediately instead of what I want which is for the video to play at normal size from 0-17, then have a bigger look from 17.01 to-19, then normal again from 19-34, then the bigger look from 34.01 to 36, etc

I thought I have done this before but it keeps failing every time I play it back

Can someone please show the steps to get this done ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like you need to add a second full-screen keyframe at 0:15 before your zoom at 0:17, then duplicate the 0:17 keyframe at 0:19 then zoom back out to full screen.

For simple tasks like this, I think the Crop/Zoom/Pan tool is actually easier, and the main thing is to plan ahead and make sure you place enough default (centered, fullscreen) keyframes to come back to.

Take a look at this quick demo, where I first place 4 full-screen keyframes then add a "rentention" keyframe to hold off the zoom until just before I want it to start, then I add two zoomed in sections.

Note that the speed of the zoom is controlled by the distance between the full screen and zoomed in keyframes, and that once you've duplicated one of the zoomed in keframes you can also drag the center of the box anywhere on screen and the tool will automatically generate a smooth curve to keep your content in view at that exact zoom level.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
when I enter crop zoom mode, it also says all applied effects are ignored , etc

I had already done quality enhancements and made a mask as well before trying to do the following

show the dance full screen from 0-17 sec, 17.01 to 19 show zoomed look, 19.01-34 show full screen, 34.01 to 1min 21 sec full, etc

Can you let me know how to do this in PIP Designer or mask designer ?

thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
All the warning message is telling you is that those edits won't be visible when you're using the tool. They will still show up on the timeline and when you produce the final video.

I'm unclear on what the function of a mask is, but as long as it's position is tied to the full clip it shouldn't be affected by the C/Z/P tool - however that might not be the case when using the PiP Designer or KF tool.

In other words, you need to be careful about making changes to the clip independently of an applied mask and you may actually need to produce the clip and mask to permanently "fuse" them before you can apply the zoom keyframes using the Keyframe tool or PiP Designer.

If you don't want to use the C/Z/P tool for the zooming keyframes, the process is nearly identical in the KF tool or PiP Designer to what my video shows except you'll need individual keyframes for each changed parameter.

Start by placing matching Scale and Position keyframes with the clip centered and full screen. For your timing examples, add a pair at times 0:00.00, 0:17.00, 0:19.01, 1:21.00, etc.

Assuming you don't want the smooth zoom I showed in the demo video and instead want an instant jump to the zoomed area, place a new pair of Position & Scale keyframes at 0:17.01 and change the scale & position as desired. You may need to zoom in on the timeline scale to place adjacent keyframes so close together.

Once you have the zoom and position set, go to 0:19.00 and choose Duplicate Previous keyframe for both the P and S settings. This will retain your zoomed view without changes from 0:17.01 while the previously placed pair of keyframes at 0:19.01 will snap back out to the full screen view.

Again, the initial placement of the full screen keyframes and the setting and duplication of the zoomed keyframes for each section are identical to what I showed using the C/Z/P tool. The main difference is that you have to do it twice as many times because you need one set for each parameter you change.

Also if you need to pan the zoomed window to follow the dancer's movements you may need to play with the ease-in/ease-out tools on the Position settings to give you smooth motion.

The main advantage of using the PiP Designer/Keyframe tool is that you have full control over every aspect of keyframing, but at the cost of having to explicitly set every parameter you want to change. The C/Z/P tool doesn't give you anywhere near that level of control, but it's typically much simpler and quicker to use.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 17. 2021 16:20

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok thanks for the detailed answer. I agree the PIP seems like it has more features but for some reason it is also a litte more difficult to get right.

I will try that again

Another thing I just did that worked is I split the clips in those positions and then took the 2 second clips and zoomed them and did that for 3 2 second clips and produced and it worked
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Another thing I just did that worked is I split the clips in those positions and then took the 2 second clips and zoomed them and did that for 3 2 second clips and produced and it worked

Yeah, for "jump cuts" that's actually the quickest/easiest way to go đź‘Ť

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17. 2021 17:00