Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is it safe to delete PD 18 without loosing files that are needed by PD 19?
Tomas E [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 07, 2019 11:51 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
I've become more comfortable with PD 19 and it seems to work well. Therefore I wonder if it's safe to delete PD 18 without loosing files that are needed by PD 19? Anything special that I need to look out for? PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 GB RAM
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It may help if you tell us if your PD19 or if it is PD365 is purchased at a New User price or as an Upgrade User at a lower price. As an upgrade user you should have the option of uninstalling PD18 at the time of installing PD19. I wouldn’t delete stuff. Uninstal is the better option for a trouble free pc. You probably did not create any custom assets and saved them for further use.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It may help if you tell us if your PD19 or if it is PD365 is purchased at a New User price or as an Upgrade User at a lower price. As an upgrade user you should have the option of uninstalling PD18 at the time of installing PD19. I wouldn’t delete stuff. Uninstal is the better option for a trouble free pc. You probably did not create any custom assets and saved them for further use.

It's an upgrade from PD 18 Ultimate to PD 19 Ultimate.

Yes, I was offered to delete PD 18, but I chose to keep it at least for a while since there often are some bugs or things that don't work as expected in a new version. And I was right about that since there was an issue with the snap to clips feature that wasn't fixed until april or so.

Guess I'll keep this one then. Maybe I can delete them both when they release a version 20. We'll see.

Edited: I used the term delete but what I actually meant was uninstall.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2021 15:10

PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Guess I'll keep this one then. Maybe I can delete them both when they release a version 20. We'll see.

PD version 20 was released in September of 2021.

Jeff
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]

PD version 20 was released in September of 2021.

Jeff

Yes, thanks, I know. However I'm not going to buy it yet.

But while we're here I'll take the opportunity to add a question.

PD19 was running when I went into the control panel to uninstall PD18. Then I got this message. Why can't PD19 be running during the removal of PD18? It seems as if some files are shared by both programs and I fear trouble if I continue with the uninstall process.
[Thumb - PowerDirector.png]
 Filename
PowerDirector.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, thanks, I know. However I'm not going to buy it yet.

But while we're here I'll take the opportunity to add a question.

PD19 was running when I went into the control panel to uninstall PD18. Then I got this message. Why can't PD19 be running during the removal of PD18? It seems as if some files are shared by both programs and I fear trouble if I continue with the uninstall process.

Always your option to buy or not, a rather different view than saying when they release a version of 20.

Because many things are shared between both apps and could have been part of the unified installer of either installation, hence these are apparent in the uninstaller, like, content packs, extra packs that may have been included at time of your purchase like Travel Pack, Wedding Pack,...so on, and part of the unified uninstaller to pick and choose.

Jeff