Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Portrait videos become Landscape after producing
SweLink88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2021 12:31 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello!

I'm using PowerDirector 17, and I'm experiencing a strange bug when producing videos in 9:16/Portrait mode.
Every video in this format comes out as a Landscape video, automatically rotated 90 degrees clockwise, as a standard 16:9 video.

Anyone's got an idea why this happens, and how I can fix it?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2021 12:58

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are other reports of this that can be found by searching the forum. Some people have fixed the issue by disabling hardware decoding under Preferences | Hardware Acceleration and also unchecking the Fast video rendering technology box when producing.

If disabling those options fixes the issue, make sure you have the most recent version of PD17 and the latest video driver for your GPU. Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide if you need more assistance.
SweLink88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are other reports of this that can be found by searching the forum. Some people have fixed the issue by disabling hardware decoding under Preferences | Hardware Acceleration and also unchecking the Fast video rendering technology box when producing.

If disabling those options fixes the issue, make sure you have the most recent version of PD17 and the latest video driver for your GPU. Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide if you need more assistance.

Thank you kindly for your response.

I did search he forum before posting, but I couldn't find a topic that described the same issue as I have. Maybe the topic creator(s) used different words than I do to describe the problem. Or maybe my English is insufficient.

I disabled Hardware Acceleration like you said, but it didn't solve the issue. And yes, my Video Drivers and PD17 version are up to date.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
SweLink88 - Please read this sticky and attach the DxDiag.txt on your next reply: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77190.page . Need the details. The fix can be at hand.
SweLink88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's the file.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
87 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2021 10:28

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the details. I don't see anything obvious in there, so let's look at the two next likely causes of this issue.

Go to the Produce page and check the Enable preview during production box like this:

When you produce, you'll be able to verify which orientation PD is producing to.

If everything looks good there, then you should try a different media player as the one you're currently using may be the problem. Try VLC, PotPlayer, MPC-HC or any other free app and see if your video plays correctly.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for supplying the DxDiag.txt. The problem is what I see all the time on any pc with an old windows operating system. Windows 7 does not support the orientation flag used in any software, videos or photos. See this previous post on the same issue: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82871.page .

VLC on windows 7 will not display portrait videos properly from phones that use the orientation flag but will do so on windows 10.

The good news is that your pc qualifies to be upgraded to windows 10 for free to solve this problem. You can contact the pc manufacturer for the upgrade or get it from Microsoft if you want to do it yourself.
SweLink88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for supplying the DxDiag.txt. The problem is what I see all the time on any pc with an old windows operating system. Windows 7 does not support the orientation flag used in any software, videos or photos. See this previous post on the same issue: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82871.page .

VLC on windows 7 will not display portrait videos properly from phones that use the orientation flag but will do so on windows 10.

The good news is that your pc qualifies to be upgraded to windows 10 for free to solve this problem. You can contact the pc manufacturer for the upgrade or get it from Microsoft if you want to do it yourself.

What puzzles me with this is that I did produce a 9:16 video a couple of years back with PD17 on this Win 7 PC, and it worked perfectly. But I guess something's might have changed with the software since then.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2021 18:42

SweLink88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the details. I don't see anything obvious in there, so let's look at the two next likely causes of this issue.

Go to the Produce page and check the Enable preview during production box like this:

When you produce, you'll be able to verify which orientation PD is producing to.

If everything looks good there, then you should try a different media player as the one you're currently using may be the problem. Try VLC, PotPlayer, MPC-HC or any other free app and see if your video plays correctly.

Nope, sadly the preview shows the video rotated 90 degrees, as mentioned.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2021 18:42

SweLink88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hang on. Looks like tomasc and optodata was onto something. While the PD17 preview an Windows Media Player displayed the video as a 90 degree rotated landscape video, playing the video in VLC did actually display it as a 9:16 video. I'll have to experiment with this some more, but at least I think I'm on the right path now.

Thank you all for your responses and help!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 22. 2021 18:55