Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to automatically cut out the silent parts of the video, or audio?
AristoCraft
Newbie Location: Los Angeles Joined: Oct 08, 2016 20:36 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Sometimes I have a video, or especially audio narrations tracks with long pauses. Then I have to do the tedious work of cutting all those pauses out. Is there a way to have power director 365 or audio director, truncate and cut those unneeded parts out, by detecting the silence? That would help save a lot of time. Or maybe someone knows about other tools out there.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You may find Scene Detection useful, although it may not work very well if there aren't any other obvious changes when the audio starts or stops. Take a look at the description on the Help page and see if it can reduce your editing time.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Sometimes I have a video, or especially audio narrations tracks with long pauses. Then I have to do the tedious work of cutting all those pauses out. Is there a way to have power director 365 or audio director, truncate and cut those unneeded parts out, by detecting the silence? That would help save a lot of time. Or maybe someone knows about other tools out there.

Hi,

There is no auto function within PDR or ADR to remove silences. There are tools out there but a word of caution - unless you can control and adjust the front and back padding of any auto-cuts, you will run the risk of having unpleasant and coarse jump cuts that have to be reviewed and adjusted manually, hence lessening the benefit of the "auto" bit.

Ask Mr. Google for Timebolt or Jumpcutter to see what can be done.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Marcus G. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2018 12:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I think it's something which lots of content creators are looking for. I left PD because of the lack of this feature and moved to Kapwing where this function works pretty much flawless, but it has other limitations. Hence I would be instantly back to PD if you'd add this function. I think this fuction will be a MUST for every serious video editor in the future imho.
Marcus G. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2018 12:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You may find Scene Detection useful, although it may not work very well if there aren't any other obvious changes when the audio starts or stops. Take a look at the description on the Help page and see if it can reduce your editing time.

Thanks. I've tried this and completely failed because it's only detecting visual change