Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Aligning Text with Thumbnail in Menu Designer
Mike M. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 30, 2020 00:36 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to create a disc menu with two titles in PowerDirector 16.

I started from scratch by clicking on the Create Menu button.

I added two buttons, for a total of three buttons, to the Titles/Chapters menu and center-aligned the button thumbnails with the button text.

When I preview the menu, the chapter thumbnails and text are center-aligned, but the alignment of the thumbnails and text is off in the title menu.

I cannot seem to find a way to fix this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm trying to create a disc menu with two titles in PowerDirector 16.

I started from scratch by clicking on the Create Menu button.

I added two buttons, for a total of three buttons, to the Titles/Chapters menu and center-aligned the button thumbnails with the button text.

When I preview the menu, the chapter thumbnails and text are center-aligned, but the alignment of the thumbnails and text is off in the title menu.

I cannot seem to find a way to fix this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It almost sounds like you are using the default left justified text box, when you get your real chapter text, the thumbnail and text don't align? An attached pic may help.

You can also simply adjust as shown in pic.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD16_CenterThumbnailText.png]
 Filename
PD16_CenterThumbnailText.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1452 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
Mike M. [Avatar]
[Post New]

It almost sounds like you are using the default left justified text box, when you get your real chapter text, the thumbnail and text don't align? An attached pic may help.

You can also simply adjust as shown in pic.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff!

I was actually in the menu template editor when I aligned the thumbnails and text.

I was able to improve the alignment by selecting the "Align selected objects" option in the bottom right corner of the menu template editor screen when doing the alignment of each thumbnail and text box. It had been set to "Align to canvas".

I'll have to try your suggestion to use the center-justified text option.

The options for alignment outside the menu template editor seem to be more limited. I don't seem to be able to select more than one object to align at a time and I only seem to be able to align with respect to the canvas, so I'm not able to align with respect to other objects.

For now, I've just been "eyeballing" the alignment by dragging text boxes with the mouse pointer when I'm working on a particular instance of a menu.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The options for alignment outside the menu template editor seem to be more limited. I don't seem to be able to select more than one object to align at a time and I only seem to be able to align with respect to the canvas, so I'm not able to align with respect to other objects.

Yes, they are more limited.

Use mouse and bounding box type selection to select more than one object. The pic I had attached shows chapter 3 thumbnail and chapter 3 text selected, two objects, as seen by the stipple bounding box on each. If only one object selected, horizontally center would align to canvas, nothing else to do. If two objects are selected, horizontally center would align to each other.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2021 13:03

Mike M. [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, they are more limited.

Use mouse and bounding box type selection to select more than one object. The pic I had attached shows chapter 3 thumbnail and chapter 3 text selected, two objects, as seen by the stipple bounding box on each. If only one object selected, horizontally center would align to canvas, nothing else to do. If two objects are selected, horizontally center would align to each other.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

I had been trying to select multiple objects outside the menu template editor using Ctrl+click.
Mike M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
I looked for the center-justified text button, but it only seems to be available when editing a particular project, not in the template editor.

Selecting a text box and clicking on the center-justified text button doesn't seem affect the alignment of the text boxes beneath the thumbnails in my chapter menus.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I looked for the center-justified text button, but it only seems to be available when editing a particular project, not in the template editor.

Selecting a text box and clicking on the center-justified text button doesn't seem affect the alignment of the text boxes beneath the thumbnails in my chapter menus.

It sounds like you are thinking you can design a template with thumbnails and text centered, and then in application of that menu on any project with any length of chapter text, things will be centered. No, it's logical to think that would occur but PD's menu system has not worked like that. That's exactly why I showed how to correct the placement and alignment in the preview screen after the menu template has been applied.

Basically, one has to find something that works within the constraints of PD's menu system.

Jeff