Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can photo folders be viewed in an alphabetic (non-hierarchical) list view in PhotoDirector?
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

In other photo management / editing programs I have seen that picture folders can be viewed in both a hierarchical view as well as a flat, alphabetic view (alphabetization of all sub-folders in the "Pictures" folder, without regard to hierarchy).

Is this view available in PhotoDirector? I did not see the option for it.

Thanks,

Tim
[Post New]
Hello Tim,

To my knowledge, PhotoDirector displays folders (& sub-folders of a parent folder) in alphabetical order.

I'm actually having difficulty understanding what you mean, having scratched around for some time to find other photo management software that displays folders/photos in the way I think you're describing. e.g. Lightroom shows folders in the same way as PhD.

Could you possibly post some screenshots to clarify what you're asking? That would be helpful.

In any case, to my knowledge there's no way to change the way PhD orders things.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
TimBikes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX -

The folder view might look like this (where the red font folders have no photos but have subfolders with photos; the ">" sign indicates the level of hierarchy in a traditional folder view. My spaces / indents were not being shown by this forum's editor):

2019 Photos
>2019-01 - Dave's Birthday Celebration
>2019-01 - Vacation
>2019-03 - Spring Break
>2019-07 - Summer Fun
>>2019 - 07 - July 4th Fireworks
>>2019 - 07 - Sailing Trip
>2019-11 - Thanksgiving
>2019-12 - Holidays
>>2019 - 12 - Christmas
>>2019 - 12 - New Years

A flat view might look like this (so the red folders are not displayed as they have no photos and all of the other folders are displayed in alphabetic order):

2019-01 - Dave's Birthday Celebration
2019-01 - Vacation
2019-03 - Spring Break
2019 - 07 - July 4th Fireworks
2019 - 07 - Sailing Trip
2019-11 - Thanksgiving
2019 - 12 - Christmas
2019 - 12 - New Years

The second view is a bit cleaner since it omits folders without photos and also does not require expanding subfolders to see what is in them. I have not seen the option for this view in PhotoDirector.

Best regards,

Tim

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2021 14:05

[Post New]
Hello again Tim,

Thank you for clarifying.

What you'd like is the facility to hide parent folders that contain no photos (except within sub-folders). I'm afraid PhotoDirector is unable to do that (*except note below).

When parent folders are imported, they are displayed thus:

""

Folders containg sub-folders can be expanded (above) or collapsed (below):

(*) The only way to achieve what you want in PhD is not to import the parent folders you don't want displayed. i.e. those containing no photos.

""

Lightroom imports & displays the imported folders/sub-folders in the same way:

""

... but it has a right-click option to Hide Parent Folders

""

which achieves the display you're after

""

I can only suggest that you submit a feature request by going to Help > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
TimBikes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks PIX. Appreciate the detailed response.

Lightroom will be a more complex (and probably expensive) option than what I need. Although I had been leaning toward Photoshop Elements / Organizer (which does allow both views), there are enough other things about PSE that bug me that I am now likely to get PhotoDirector - though will probably post a few more questions separately.

Thanks again!