Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Advice Sought On Buying A Laptop To Run Powerdirector 19 365 Subscription
Decco G [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2020 12:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there, I am wondering if anyone could give advice on buying a laptop to run powerdirector 19 365 subscription.
In particular what graphics card would be a good reccomendation?
Also might anybody know if there are problems in particular with powerdirector recognising graphics cards in laptops?
My budget is $1,500 to $2,000.
Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Decco G
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
The challenge with any technology investment is that it becomes obsolete very quickly. This year's $2000 computer is next year's $1000 computer. It's not always a wise investment to chase the latest technology or spend as much as you can. My rule of thumb has always been to spend no more than $1000 on computer. (We're talking only about the box, not the monitor, etc.) That way it won't break your heart in a year when you find out it's only worth half as much.

The good news is that you can get alot of power for $1000! Certainly enough to edit 4K and way more than enough to edit HD.

Although laptops are a bit different. For one thing, you can't just buy the CPU unit, so a lot of what you're paying for is the monitor. Also, laptops are built for portability rather than speed. So a laptop won't run quite efficiently as a desktop with the same configuration. But as fast as today's processors are, that's not as big a deal as it was. Just know you're going to significantly pay more for a laptop than you will for desktop with the same guts.

With thousands of possible configurations out there, I recommend using these benchmark numbers as a measure. A rating of 10,000 for a CPU is very good. 15,000 or more is excellent. That and 16 gig of RAM or more will take you about 90% of the way there, if you're editing with PowerDirector.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Picking a graphics card is a bit trickier. But you'll find a listing for video card benchmarks also on that site. With graphics cards, it's more than simply a high number. A video editor doesn't need the same GPU as a gamer. So with graphics cards, it's best to get a recommendation from a fellow user.

But focus first on your CPU, IMHO. That's the engine that drives your computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2021 11:24