Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CyberLink PhotoDirector 12 not writing metadata to image files
tseven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 07, 2021 15:15 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Software:
CyberLink PhotoDirector 12 for Mac
Version: 12.0.2513.0

Issue:
Changes to the images aren't being saved to the image's metadata/IPC profiles.
After tagging a face, changing the star rating, adding text tags etc, the resulting information is not saved to file.
Verified by loading the same images in Lightroom Classic and ImageRanger.

I was under the impression from other conversations that PhotoDirector would save this metadata.

I didn't see a setting or task to force writing this metadata.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
[Post New]
Hello tseven,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Being a Windows PhD user, I'm unfamiliar with the Mac version, but would assume they're essentiall the same in function.

Photos I tag or rate in PhD12 typically show the tags/ratings in (a) EXIFtool, (b) Windows Properties & other photo software, such as Lightrrom.

As an example, here's a photo I just exported from PhD12. Please download it and check whether the text tags (under keywords) & rating (under metadata) is shown in your Lightroom. It has no face tags, only text tags.

Also, could you possibly upload a tagged/rated photo for PhD users to check? If there's an issue, that would help us to isolate it.

Something else worth checking in your export dialogue is which options are checked/unchecked un Metadata. See attached screenshot from PhD12 (Windows).

PIX
[Thumb - PhD12_Export Meta.jpg]
 Filename
PhD12_Export Meta.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
tseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello tseven,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Being a Windows PhD user, I'm unfamiliar with the Mac version, but would assume they're essentiall the same in function.

Photos I tag or rate in PhD12 typically show the tags/ratings in (a) EXIFtool, (b) Windows Properties & other photo software, such as Lightrrom.

As an example, here's a photo I just exported from PhD12. Please download it and check whether the text tags (under keywords) & rating (under metadata) is shown in your Lightroom. It has no face tags, only text tags.

Also, could you possibly upload a tagged/rated photo for PhD users to check? If there's an issue, that would help us to isolate it.

Something else worth checking in your export dialogue is which options are checked/unchecked un Metadata. See attached screenshot from PhD12 (Windows).

PIX

Hi there, thanks for responding.

I see your 3 star rating and other meta atributes. I've given my sample image a rating of 4 stars and tagged the face as "John" but it doesn't show up in ImageRanger.
[Thumb - gettyimages-50527616-612x612.jpg]
 Filename
gettyimages-50527616-612x612.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Test image tagged as "John" 4 star rating
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - screenshot_2021-03-09_05.51.33pm_TP6.jpeg]
 Filename
screenshot_2021-03-09_05.51.33pm_TP6.jpeg
[Disk]
 Description
Tagged "RED", 4 stars, face = John
 Filesize
433 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - screenshot_2021-03-09_05.52.22pm_8sH.jpeg]
 Filename
screenshot_2021-03-09_05.52.22pm_8sH.jpeg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
213 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
tseven [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi there, thanks for responding.

I see your 3 star rating and other meta atributes. I've given my sample image a rating of 4 stars and tagged the face as "John" but it doesn't show up in ImageRanger.

Here is the other screenshot showing the missing metadata.

I've closed PhotoDirector after applying the tags/changes etc.
Then freshly launched ImageRanger to ensure both programs had time/opportunity to write/read the metadata.
[Thumb - screenshot_2021-03-09_05.52.50pm_uUC.jpeg]
 Filename
screenshot_2021-03-09_05.52.50pm_uUC.jpeg
[Disk]
 Description
ImageRanger screenshot, no metadata visible.
 Filesize
213 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
tseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just discovered that if I EXPORT the image from PhotoDirector I can see my star rating and color tag. The face tag is missing though.

I was hoping PhotoDirector would save all changes to the meta/exif/xmp data like Lightroom and ImageRanger does. (including face tags)

PhotoDirector is better at face tagging than ImageRanger and I don't move away from Adobe subscriptions.

Is there a way to force PhotoDirector to save all this info to the source files without exporting, especially the face tags?

Thanks!
[Thumb - gettyimages-50527616-612x612.jpg]
 Filename
gettyimages-50527616-612x612.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Exported from PD with start and color tag. missing face tag
 Filesize
141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2021 21:09

[Post New]
Hello once again,

Thank you for digging into the issue for yourself. It's assisted my understanding of the problem too.

PhotoDirector does not (nor can it) embed metadata into a photo until it's exported. From my observations here, Lightroom doesn't either, without using the "Save metadata to file" option under the Metadata tab. PhD has no such option, unfortunately.

As you've observed, I think, once a photo is exported tags & ratings are embedded. Oddly, I could find no evidence of tags (text or face) or ratings in the gettyimages photo you attached. Please check the attached image exported from PhD12. You should see it has two text tags (lawn, tennis), a face tag (Johnno) & a one star rating.

I believe there are some inconsistencies with this, but I've not been able to define them clearly yet. It's tied up with the way different applications interpret & display metadata.

I trust some of this has helped to clarify.

PIX
[Thumb - gettyimages-50527616-PhD 12 Export.jpg]
 Filename
gettyimages-50527616-PhD 12 Export.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
191 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
tseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for looking into this PIX,
It's a bummer this data issn't saved consistantly and without exporting.

Interestingly enough I am able to see the face tag you added to the getty image. That is not saved when I export it.
[Thumb - Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.03.54 PM.png]
 Filename
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.03.54 PM.png
[Disk]
 Description
The face tag you added showed up
 Filesize
1767 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)