Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Blue Essentials VI?
Alephnull [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2020 08:46 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I was thinking of getting New Blue Essentials VI for PD because it's going cheap now ($50), mainly for the Chroma Key Pro plugin, but also for some other plugins that come with it, which would be useful for me. Some people say NB's Chroma Key Pro is better than PD's. Anyone got any views on that?

My main worry is how long it would continue to work with PD, because from some older forum posts I've looked at it seems that NewBlue have stopped updating the PD version, so it's basically 'abandonware'. Does anyone have any knowledge of how long we can expect it to keep working with PD, or is that anyone's guess?

(I am aware of the lack of an eye-dropper for the Chroma Ke, but apparently there are other free plugins that will provide that feature.)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Those plugins have been "on sale" for US$50 for about 10 years. I bought many of those packs back in 2013 and they continue to run well as newer versions of PD come out, so in my experience there's little risk of them not working unless CL makes radical changes to the program.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My main worry is how long it would continue to work with PD, because from some older forum posts I've looked at it seems that NewBlue have stopped updating the PD version, so it's basically 'abandonware'. Does anyone have any knowledge of how long we can expect it to keep working with PD, or is that anyone's guess?

I would not consider it abandonware. It is the same package sold today for Ulead, Pinnacle, and other current consumer video editors. They work if the other editors are also installed on your pc too.
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
One could hope that if they ever did change the architecture of PD, that they would incorporate Open FX like many programs use. If that ever becomes the case, rest easy. The Vault NewBlue FX seem to have OFX overed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2021 15:50

Alephnull [Avatar]
[Post New]
>It is the same package sold today for Ulead, Pinnacle, and other current consumer video editors.

But from what I gather the PD versions have not been updated in years, but the versions for other platforms surely have? (Not that this is relevant for my purchase, just curious about that.)
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure where you would buy the plugins now as the NewBlue FX Vault has been re-directed to the NewBlue main product page. https://www.newbluefx.com/newbluefx-vault/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2022 08:11

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
Alephnull [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. (I use Da Vinci Resolve for any chroma key work now, so it's no longer an issue.)

Quote Not sure where you would buy the plugins now as the NewBlue FX Vault has been re-directed to the NewBlue main product page.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 09. 2022 08:21