Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sony BWU-500S Desktop Blu-Ray drive Won’t Read
[Post New]
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-optiarc-bwu-500s-bd-re-drive-serial-ata-internal/

Circa 2010, installed the drive and the Cyberlink powerDVD 9 in an old Dell Dimension 8300, Windows XP Pro Service pack 2, which always runs fine. Naturally, I keep this old pc off the internet and use it only for redundant file backup and sometimes for music, DVD movies.

Checked the BWU-500S’s power and data cables. Device Manager says the drive is enabled and is operating normally. But after I inserted a DVD movie I didn't hear the motor spin up to read it. And in Windows Explorer when I click on the drive it says to insert a disc, which I already did. I barely got any use out of this drive so how likely that any optical or electromechanical parts would be defective? Is a corrupt driver file most likely the problem?

So I went here https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/results?query=bwu500s and entered the model number of the BD optical drive but no support available. I then had no option but click on another Sony support page and found no optical drive or computer accessories to click on, except for Sony VAIO computers, which I knew Sony no longer supported. I then tried to log on to Sony Community forum but my password didn't work. I then tried to reset my password but refused to enter my birthday; none of the dozens of forums I have joined ever asked me that. What to do next?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 29. 2021 15:39

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Windows XP never supported any BD drive to play any BD movie. The workaround back then is to install anydvd hd. Vista was the first Win os to support BD. PowerDVD9 does support BD but only in Vista..
[Post New]
Quote Windows XP never supported any BD drive to play any BD movie. The workaround back then is to install anydvd hd. Vista was the first Win os to support BD. PowerDVD9 does support BD but only in Vista..
I likely had purchased that drive to eventually swap it into a much newer BD supporting desktop. Again, I only used it a few times for playing DVD (not BD) movies and ripping CD tracks; can't believe it would just die on me. Need it now to load an M-Audio soundcard driver.