Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crop/Zoom/Pan getting really blurry
Laurens Bas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2021 21:18 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I use crop/zoom/pan to zoom in on something, it instantly goes blurry. I am aware that it'll get more pixelated the more I zoom, but in the preview window it looks nice and sharp. Is there something that i'm doing wrong?

(I'm using powerdriector 365 by the way)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If the preview window looks sharp, then where are you seeing the blurry results? Maybe a screenshot of the issue would help. Use Alt + Print Screen or the Windows snipping tool (Win + Shift + S) if you have Win10, then save the image as PNG or JPG. Click on the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload and share it here.

Also, are you working with HD, SD or 4K clips? Lower resolution clips (like Standard Definition) have fewer pixels so they'll appear blurrier than HD or 4K clips at the same zoom level.
Laurens Bas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2021 21:18 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If the preview window looks sharp, then where are you seeing the blurry results? Maybe a screenshot of the issue would help. Use Alt + Print Screen or the Windows snipping tool (Win + Shift + S) if you have Win10, then save the image as PNG or JPG. Click on the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload and share it here.

Also, are you working with HD, SD or 4K clips? Lower resolution clips (like Standard Definition) have fewer pixels so they'll appear blurrier than HD or 4K clips at the same zoom level.

I'm using HD clips, and here's some screenshots of what's going on.\

EDIT: Actually, it's not happening in these screnshots. Let me try to find a clip of it happening.
[Thumb - after.png]
 Filename
after.png
[Disk]
 Description
What I get
 Filesize
358 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - before.png]
 Filename
before.png
[Disk]
 Description
What the preview shows
 Filesize
313 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2021 14:59

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the screenshots. Something is defintely wrong with the timeline preview of the C/Z/P tool.

The quality of the skateboard clips is pretty low, so I tried an HD screen capture clip from a 4K monitor. On one clip I used the C/Z/P tool to create a similar shape as you did, then I used the Mask Designer and PiP Designer to do the same thing on another clip.

Here's the view in the Crop/Zoom/Pan tool:

And here's the timeline view. It's completely unusable:

Meanwhile, the timeline view of the manually masked, zoomed and panned clip looks like this:

I've packed my test project and you can download and examine it from this OneDrive folder (no need to sign up/log in).

I think this needs to be reported to Cyberlink, and until they can confirm the problema and release an update, your best bet is to use the PiP Designer (and Mask Designer, if needed) when zooming in tight like this.

The C/Z/P tool seems to work acceptably when zooming in to somewhere around half the screen, but the quality becomes unusable if you need to zoom/crop smaller areas than that.