Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
color presets
tomballard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2015 00:16 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
OK, so I go from PowerDirector 365 into Color Director and create a color preset, then I go back into PowerDirector and Effects Room, but cannot find my color preset (I see all the stock ones, but not mine). I see it in Cyberlink cloud! and others have already used it! but I can't find it in my PowerDirector. Please help. Tom
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Seems like you left out a few steps in your description. When you created the color preset in CD, there was a choice to Upload or Save it. It sounds like you chose Upload, but then you also have to download it and double-click on the .cdadj file to install it for PD to use.

Once you've done that, it will show up in FX | Color Preset | Downloaded Presets.

If you had clicked Save in CD, that seems to only save it for use in CD and PD isn't able to automatically import it. You can export it from CD and it will create the .cdadj file wherever you want to save it, and then you can double click on it to install it for PD to use.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 06. 2021 01:19

tomballard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Seems like you left out a few steps in your description. When you created the color preset in CD, there was a choice to Upload or Save it. It sounds like you chose Upload, but then you also have to download it and double-click on the .cdadj file to install it for PD to use.

Once you've done that, it will show up in FX | Color Preset | Downloaded Presets.

If you had clicked Save in CD, that seems to only save it for use in CD and PD isn't able to automatically import it. You can export it from CD and it will create the .cdadj file wherever you want to save it, and then you can double click on it to install it for PD to use.

Hi. Yes, I've been in and out of CD several times both saving my preset and uploading (which I can see in the cloud and downloaded), but it's never shown up in color presets which is where I look for in, perhaps incorrectly.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure what to tell you. Here's a screen recording of me calling up CD from inside PD, downloading your Yellow preset from DirectorZone and applying it.

As you can see, once it's installed both CD and PD can access it.
tomballard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure what to tell you. Here's a screen recording of me calling up CD from inside PD, downloading your Yellow preset from DirectorZone and applying it.

As you can see, once it's installed both CD and PD can access it.

Thank you.
Right. Instead of your preset transporting directly to PD, the logical choice, Cyberlink makes you take the extra steps of uploading and downloading your preset (this I have now, finally, been so educated). It's nuts. What if you're working without internet? What if you don't want the world using your preset?
tomballard [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I add color presets, my preview is slowed down, pausing for a second at each clip that has color presets added. I have 32 RAM, and an otherwise fast Windows computer. Anyone find a way around this?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Right. Instead of your preset transporting directly to PD, the logical choice, Cyberlink makes you take the extra steps of uploading and downloading your preset (this I have now, finally, been so educated). It's nuts. What if you're working without internet? What if you don't want the world using your preset?

Remember that Upload is one of the choices you have and if you'not not interested in sharing it, all you need to do is choose Save. There are still the extra steps of right-clicking on the saved preset and exporting it to a folder on your PC, then double-clicking on that to install it for PD, but there's no need for any internet connection.

You can let CL know you'd like to see a simpler (or even automatic) way to share color presets between PD and CD by going to Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under the File menu in either program.

Quote When I add color presets, my preview is slowed down, pausing for a second at each clip that has color presets added. I have 32 RAM, and an otherwise fast Windows computer. Anyone find a way around this?

There's no "way around this" because of the significant amount of computation needed to apply the preset to the clip. RAM isn't the limiting factor, your CPU's processing power is.

In addition, be aware that PD can't use the system's GPU when producing, so all LUT and color preset rendering has to be done by the CPU which can take much longer than producing the same project without color adjustments.
tomballard [Avatar]
[Post New]

Remember that Upload is one of the choices you have and if you'not not interested in sharing it, all you need to do is choose Save. There are still the extra steps of right-clicking on the saved preset and exporting it to a folder on your PC, then double-clicking on that to install it for PD, but there's no need for any internet connection.

You can let CL know you'd like to see a simpler (or even automatic) way to share color presets between PD and CD by going to Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under the File menu in either program.

There's no "way around this" because of the significant amount of computation needed to apply the preset to the clip. RAM isn't the limiting factor, your CPU's processing power is.

In addition, be aware that PD can't use the system's GPU when producing, so all LUT and color preset rendering has to be done by the CPU which can take much longer than producing the same project without color adjustments.

Thank you so much. Appreciate the clear explanation.
I'd add that I wrote an earlier question regarding slow rendering and nobody said, 'oh, btw, are you using color presets? If so, that could be the issue.'
Best, Tom