Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Snapshot file size
Chrissyc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2012 06:12 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD365 v19. When creating photos from high quality videos using snapshot, the resulting photo is very low quality. I understand there is a checkbox for using the original video size as a snapshot image, but I can't find it - please could somone tell me where to find the checkbox on v19? many thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PD365 v19. When creating photos from high quality videos using snapshot, the resulting photo is very low quality. I understand there is a checkbox for using the original video size as a snapshot image, but I can't find it - please could somone tell me where to find the checkbox on v19? many thanks

CL removed that option in PD. Snapshots of the timeline with the camera are now low res. Create a snapshot from media in the library, or a freeze frame on the timeline.

This old thread has some history but CL apparently never revisited to create a more user valuable experience. https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50730.page#post_box_267348

Jeff
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PD365 v19. When creating photos from high quality videos using snapshot, the resulting photo is very low quality. I understand there is a checkbox for using the original video size as a snapshot image, but I can't find it - please could somone tell me where to find the checkbox on v19? many thanks

Hi Chrissy, if you click the button next to the camera icon under the player window, you can then select the preview quality option to up the resolution.

See the attached image I just took for you. I just took a screenshot from a 4K video, which is also attached.

Ash
[Thumb - ducks.jpg]
 Filename
ducks.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1579 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - previewquality.jpg]
 Filename
previewquality.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
867 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Chrissy, if you click the button next to the camera icon under the player window, you can then select the preview quality option to up the resolution.

See the attached image I just took for you. I just took a screenshot from a 4K video, which is also attached.

I'd say not a design intent but it does appear to have some higher res functionality. 5 of the 6 preview resolutions all produce 1920x1080, however, the Ultra HD does produce a higher resolution as you state, but not the resolution of the underlying video. Impossible to edit at this preview quality setting but another short term hack to get a higher quality snapshot.

Jeff
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]

CL removed that option in PD. Snapshots of the timeline with the camera are now low res. Create a snapshot from media in the library, or a freeze frame on the timeline.

This old thread has some history but CL apparently never revisited to create a more user valuable experience. https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50730.page#post_box_267348

Jeff

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have tried taking a snapshot from media in the library and a freeze frame on the timeline, but unfortunatley neither give a very good quality jpg. Such a shame that CL removed the higher resolution option.
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Chrissy, if you click the button next to the camera icon under the player window, you can then select the preview quality option to up the resolution.

Ash

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and to take some sample pics. I can see that the highest quality preview option does give a larger snapshot - though still not very good quality, and the highest quality preview is difficult to work with. It's a shame they no longer have this feature as I use it quite a lot.
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'd say not a design intent but it does appear to have some higher res functionality. 5 of the 6 preview resolutions all produce 1920x1080, however, the Ultra HD does produce a higher resolution as you state, but not the resolution of the underlying video. Impossible to edit at this preview quality setting but another short term hack to get a higher quality snapshot.

Jeff

Thank you for this futher reply to my query. I've tried this out and agree with your statement, and yes indeed the unltra HD is very difficult to work with! The resulting jpg is still not particularly high quality, but is better than the lower resolutions. Its such a shame because I used this feature regularly and it doesn't make sense why they would do away with a useful feature. Maybe I'll need to find some other software instead. Thanks again.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Maybe try png vs jpg, might be jpg compression issue, here is a pic with 8K resolution from Media Library snapshot so it should mimic the source quality of your video.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_Snapshot.png]
 Filename
PD19_Snapshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe try png vs jpg, might be jpg compression issue, here is a pic with 8K resolution from Media Library snapshot so it should mimic the source quality of your video.

Jeff

Yes been looking into that - I have other software I'm trying out and the snapshot png files are far better quality than the jpg ones. But a bit reluctant to use png files, as they cannot widely be opened - and I will be sending them onto other people as well as using them in my PD projects. (Just really annoyed that CL have changed this part of the software!!) Again, many thanks for your time and help.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Only thing I can suggest is let them know your thoughts at File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions.

Jeff