Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AMD CPU and GPU for PowerDirector?
[Post New]
Hello,

I'm looking into getting an updated system for 2021.

I game but do some content creation with PD. More gaming.

CUDA is supported by Nvidia and from what I read is superior to
OpenGL.

Not sure if Intel is superior to AMD with PD.

So,
Thoughts?

Thanks!

VooP
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Intel 11th generation cpus are scheduled to launch next year. AMD's desired cpus today like the Ryzen 9 5950X may be sold out. You have to wait til next year to see which of the top cpus are available and okay on your wallet.
[Post New]
Quote Intel 11th generation cpus are scheduled to launch next year. AMD's desired cpus today like the Ryzen 9 5950X may be sold out. You have to wait til next year to see which of the top cpus are available and okay on your wallet.

Out of curiosity, what are you using?

Happy with your system performance with PD?

Thanks!
KlabuKarl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2019 02:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am about to get another CPU and GPU (most likely a RTX 3080 or RX 6800XT) early next year - currently running a ryzen 5 (6 core) and a Nvidia 1030 with 2 SSD drives (one M.2) and 32GB RAM. Admittedly, not the fastest and not the most sophisticated system. But, for the frequency of upcoming videos I have to cut it does not really matter whether a development of a video takes 2 or 6 hours. I'll keep it running over night, anyway.

Yet, what bothers me more is when I start to render and I look up the system performance in the task manager I see that my Ryzen CPU only uses 30% at max. performance and from the 32 GB memory Powerdirector only uses 8GB. From the SSD Drives (the SATA connected one, not the M.2) only 1% active time is reflected.

Having run Davinci Resolve 17 (Beta) against it - Davinci makes full usage of the hardware.

Any configuration I could change? Parameters I can configure, at all?

Txs

p.s.: A reasonalbe question would be why someone should invest into further HW when PD does not facilitate the current HW as it could?
[Post New]
Quote I am about to get another CPU and GPU (most likely a RTX 3080 or RX 6800XT) early next year - currently running a ryzen 5 (6 core) and a Nvidia 1030 with 2 SSD drives (one M.2) and 32GB RAM. Admittedly, not the fastest and not the most sophisticated system. But, for the frequency of upcoming videos I have to cut it does not really matter whether a development of a video takes 2 or 6 hours. I'll keep it running over night, anyway.

Yet, what bothers me more is when I start to render and I look up the system performance in the task manager I see that my Ryzen CPU only uses 30% at max. performance and from the 32 GB memory Powerdirector only uses 8GB. From the SSD Drives (the SATA connected one, not the M.2) only 1% active time is reflected.

Having run Davinci Resolve 17 (Beta) against it - Davinci makes full usage of the hardware.

Any configuration I could change? Parameters I can configure, at all?

Txs

p.s.: A reasonalbe question would be why someone should invest into further HW when PD does not facilitate the current HW as it could?

The nvidia GT1030 does not have hardware encoding, it's useless for PD.
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new#Encoder
KlabuKarl [Avatar]
[Post New]

The nvidia GT1030 does not have hardware encoding, it's useless for PD.
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new#Encoder

I know this. So, the CPU should be loaded even more. Yet the CPU it still runs around 30% and it does not explain why the system only allocates 8GB.

While Davinci has a better "HW Consumption" and it renders in the half of the time for the same job ...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2020 05:25

[Post New]
Because there are other latencies that become bottlenecks. And no, HDD access is not related at all to this, the actual read/writespeeds are well below what a HDD can handle.

As for RAM - is used only for a few frame buffers, why would you think it would help/need to use more?
KlabuKarl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Because there are other latencies that become bottlenecks. And no, HDD access is not related at all to this, the actual read/writespeeds are well below what a HDD can handle.

As for RAM - is used only for a few frame buffers, why would you think it would help/need to use more?

Ok, txs for this. Other latencies is a sufficient explanation.
[Post New]
I waited for years that PD does better in this regard. But it's still pretty limited.
I have a system with dual CPU (8 core/16 virtual each), 64GB of RAM and a GTX1080. None of those get to be used at max.
Antonio1975 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2017 10:23 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I waited for years that PD does better in this regard. But it's still pretty limited.
I have a system with dual CPU (8 core/16 virtual each), 64GB of RAM and a GTX1080. None of those get to be used at max.

Hi everyone.
Soon I have to buy a new computer that I will assemble with a Ryzen 5900x cpu, 32 gb ram, Radeon 5700XT, SSD M2 .....
Now I'm wondering, reading these comments, if it's worth it?
Isn't there anyone who can compare PC performance with various configurations, as many do using Davinci or Premiere? I add, why are there no comparisons of how PD works on MAC M1?
Thank you all.
Antonio
[Post New]
Good Day!

I have been loving Scene Detection and yes, my computer is a bit of dinosaur.
(i7-4th gen, 2GB vid card Nvidia, no CUDA circa 2014, 16GB RAM). I am open to mockery.

Looked at some new computers...FORGET IT...$6000 because of the chip shortage...Just insane.

I am trying to do a scene detect on a video (movie) that is over 2 hours long. It takes about 3 hours.

If I ever get a fantasy computer again...what would speed up Scene Detection?
(oh yeah, I am a gamer as well).

I assume Legacy Overlay has something to do with my GPU being old
The gpu jumps between 6-11%
Disk Activity, CPU - all low

Thoughts....?

Thanks,

V
[Thumb - SceneDetection.png]
 Filename
SceneDetection.png
[Disk]
 Description