Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Correct Exposure in only certain parts of a video
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I have Color Director 7 and PD 18

I know you can select mask in Color Director and then make adjustments but if I have a 5 minute video and at certain points for 10-15 seconds I want to turn down the exposure or brightness, etc

What is the best way to do this ?

Can it also be done in Power Director ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like keyframes along with masking would be the best choice for either editor so you can start and stop the correction as needed. Depending on how the scenes unfold, you may want to transition fairly slowly from the original to the corrected settings or make the change all in one shot.

See this part of the ColorDirector 9 Help file for setting keyframe behavior, and you can do pretty much the same things in PD.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi. Thanks for the info

I assume CD is better here because it has more precise controls to adjust like dark, darkest, bright, brightest, etc

In the case of this video that someone took, a person's face gets totally washed out when they walk by a bright light
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I have much more experience with PD, and there you could use Gamma Correction FX or NewBlue Highlights & Shadows FX for that kind of situation. The wider range of controls in CD and masking out areas that were correctly (or at least, better) exposed should also give you good results.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi. I have PD18

Where is the Gamma Correction and NewBlue Highlights ?
optodata
[Post New]
Different versions of PD come with different NBFX packs.

Look in the FX room and set the disply to All Content. Type gamma into the search box and you should see the standard Gamma Correction FX. If you have the NewBlueFX Video Essentials VII installed, you'll also see the NewBlue version, which has two controls rather than the standard FX's single slider.

Highlights and Shadows is in the NBFX Video Essentials 2 pack.