Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transparency supported video formats supported by Powerdirector
starzar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2019 01:00 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
In Pd17 , video files with transparency supported formats like Quicktime (Png / Qt Animation) are not showing the intended tranparent background. Changing blending modes shows transparent background but fades the video.

Here PD Supported File Formats support for alphaPng (Quicktime) is mentioned but doesn't work in reality.

Which other tranparent video formats are supported in Powerdirector?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2020 06:29

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Those are the only two formats I'm aware of. Can you post a screenshot showing what the transparent clips look like on your timeline?

It would also help if you could upload a sample alpha clip to Google Drive or One Drive and paste a publically shareable link here so other people can exdamine them. See this FAQ for more info.
starzar [Avatar]
[Post New]
File(Qt(Png)_NoAudio - 357 MB) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wH7mjHJko7L4w7-YC9l7ppLG3SXAwXjP/view?usp=sharing

Hello, which 2 video formats support transparency in PD along with audio?

By the way ,there was some issue with the transparency file settings , on changing these settings the Quicktime(Png) format works .

But a new issue has come up, Audio file linked to the Quicktime(Png) clip is not detected by PD.

How can this be resolved?

Thanks

Clip(No Audio) - https://ibb.co/fqwsLhH

Clip(No Audio)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2020 00:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Your Google drive link isn't publicly accessible and everyone trying to download it will be emailing you for permission. The FAQ I linked to had the details, as does the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ.
starzar [Avatar]
[Post New]
The share status of the file has been changed.Please recheck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wH7mjHJko7L4w7-YC9l7ppLG3SXAwXjP/view?usp=sharing
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote In Pd17 , video files with transparency supported formats like Quicktime (Png / Qt Animation) are not showing the intended tranparent background. Changing blending modes shows transparent background but fades the video.

Here PD Supported File Formats support for alphaPng (Quicktime) is mentioned but doesn't work in reality.

Which other tranparent video formats are supported in Powerdirector?

The particular mov file has a mpeg-1 layer 3 mp3 type audio created with the freeware lame encoder. Never seen this audio format supported on apple video formats before. It has not been used on Apple devices. I believe that if you have the audio changed to aac or pcm then it will be supported in the mov file and will work.

Tried 3 different video editors before finding one that can play this audio on the downloaded mov file. Exported it and extracted the audio in PD17 as a .wav file suitable for use with .mov files. The file is attached here.

Simply place this extracted .wav file on the audio track under the .mov video file and it should work.
 Filename
qtpng.wav
[Disk]
 Description
PD17 extracted .wav file to work with the .mov file.
 Filesize
3124 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
106 time(s)
starzar [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for checking.

But eventhough the AAC/PCM (.mov (PNG)) audio gets detected , it is shown as a flat wave and is not played by Pd.

Image - https://ibb.co/CvCJKXz
optodata
[Post New]
I don't know how or where you converted the audio in the original file, but you seemed to have picked another incompatible format.

Simply use the .WAV file that tomasc extracted and shared in his last post. It plays perfectly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2020 00:55

DasHobbit [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2022 14:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Honestly I'm kind of lost on following whats in this thread, but I am also having a similar issue. I have a short clip/stinger transition that I'm trying to use and the bg of the clip is black and doesn't act well as a transition.

This is custom made media so I don't know how or if I can format it into the unique format PD uses for its transitions.

I have tried these file formats:
mov
webm
mp4

I'm not sure if thats the issue but I really can't find much help for why PD isn't supporting the transparancy of the video file. Any help plz?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Honestly I'm kind of lost on following whats in this thread, but I am also having a similar issue.

The gist of this discussion is that PD doesn't support any transparency when producing videos. None at all.

However, you seem to be looking for a way to use your custom media as a transition in a PD project but it actually isn't transparent. Is that the case?

If so , you'll need to chroma key out the black background to make it invisible, then place that clip on a lower track so that it will be shown "in front of" the video or image on the track above. When you produce the project, the clips will be blended together and there's no need for transparency when producing.
DasHobbit [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2022 14:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

The gist of this discussion is that PD doesn't support any transparency when producing videos. None at all.

However, you seem to be looking for a way to use your custom media as a transition in a PD project but it actually isn't transparent. Is that the case?

If so , you'll need to chroma key out the black background to make it invisible, then place that clip on a lower track so that it will be shown "in front of" the video or image on the track above. When you produce the project, the clips will be blended together and there's no need for transparency when producing.

Essentially thats what I'm trying to do but can't chroma out the black because black is a heavy color in the media. Seems like I'll have to find a way to put it on a green layer so I can chroma it.

Thanks for your response
optodata
[Post New]
You can chroma-key out any color as long as there's enough contrast between it and the colors you want to keep.

Newer versions of PD have 3 sets of chroma key controls which can really help get the balance right, but otherwise you may want to contact the maker of your custom media and have them give you a transparent (alpha channel) MOV version.