Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 365 export option "overwrite" is not active.
RonO2015 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2012 11:20 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded from PD 11 to PD365, when trying to export a image that has been edited and I choose to Keep the image in the same directory and to overwrite the existing file, the option to overwrite is grayed out. Works in PD11 but not in PD365. Anybody else having this problem
[Thumb - Screen Shot.jpg]
 Filename
Screen Shot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello RonO2015,

Thank you for posting this & alerting the community to the issue.

When I first checked PhD365 for the greyed out "Overwrite" option, all was well.

Then I realised I was running PhD365 12.0.2024.0. When I updated to 2228, I got the same greyed out option you've reported.

In the current 2024 version of PhD 12 (perpetual licence), the option isn't greyed out, but I suspect it will be once patched.

I'll report the problem immediately to the team at CL.

In the meantime, until a fix is posted, you may have to do your overwriting manually in Windows.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
RonO2015 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2012 11:20 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the fast answer!

RonO
pldac [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2009 17:42 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm my experience that the Overwrite option is ghosted in 2228 patch of PhD v12 perpetual.

I only saw this thread today after numerous contacts with Cyberlink without a resolution as yet. Just the usual it must be my GPU or drive space (neither of which are a problem).

I unistalled v11 and v12 and reinstalled v12 only. Overwrite works before 2228 patch but not after.

My short term approach is to select Use Unique Names; which adds "<filename>-1" then delete the original file later followed by a bulk filename rename at the end of the day to get rid of the -1's. Not ideal because I do a lot of overwrite'ing.

Whilst I have found that this problem exists in the Adjustment pane, the overwrite option does become available following a Guided alteration that is saved to the "temporary file (virtual copy)" and that image subsequently Export(ed). This does seem to permit overwrite option for the "original" file.

Peter

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2020 21:55

pldac [Avatar]
[Post New]
Further:

If you import a PNG and then select "export" of that file while setting your export option to JPEG and a JPEG file with the same name exists, the Overwrite option appears.

Vice versa, if you import a JPG and then select "export" of that file while setting your export option to PNG and a PNG file with the same name exists, the Overwrite option appears.

BUT the problem remains that if you import a JPG or PNG and try to export to the same file type (JPEG or PNG respectively) then Overwrite is ghosted.

Support is frustrating me. I have sent them screenshots twice and their latest suggestion is to send them a screenshot.

Quickest work around for me is to check the Put in Sub Folder option; maintaining the same name, then at the end of the session I move and replace these sub folder files to original location.
 Filename
Overwrite.png
[Disk]
 Description
Overwrite Ghosted
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 12. 2020 16:25

[Post New]
I can confirm Peter's excellent observations described above.

With the 2228 update installed in both subscription (365) & perpetual versions, Overwrite is ghosted when exporting to the same format, but available if a different format is selected (i.e. when there is a potentially duplicate file present).

Peter!

The issue has been reported to CyberLink, as well as support tickets being submitted. No doubt, these things take time to implement.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
pldac [Avatar]
[Post New]
Response from Support. It's a feature! I guess until they fix it ....sigh....

"With reference to your query, please be advised that as per the current program design in the new version of PhotoDirector 12/365, the overwrite option is greyed out in case any possible loss on the original photo if you put them in the same folder when export edited one.

We have forwarded your feedback to our product team as development reference. Thank you for sharing your experience with us."

Not sure why they didn't say this in the first place (rhetorical Q) thus avoiding so many communications.