Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Old newbie needing help - Canon Vixia HF W-10
Larry Mac [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2020 18:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to set up where I can record and video family history and stories. i am using Windows 10 Pro. I have a new Canon Vixia HF W-10. An external USB microphone. I have recorded one video using Canon microphone and did not like the sound quality. So I an sure there are steps to connect the external mike, the canon W 10 to record live (so to speak) on my desk top. IM sure I will have to eliminate the camera microphone and change settings where I am recording directly to the computer with the cvocal track. I am a 71 year old newbie so if any one can clue me in step by step. The computer is recognizing the micophone and allowing me to adjust volume which was one of the problem with the on camera micorphone.

Putting both of these together with the software has been confusing. Deeply appreciate any help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2020 03:49

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I can't see any real need to connect the camera to the computer to record live. I'd simply record with the camera and transfer the video to the computer via the cameras SDHC memory card or if using internal storage transfer via usb cable for editing. In my view, often easier to simply use the SDHC memory card.

The camera mic should be rather good, if you want different audio, one could use the video stream in the timeline, mute that audio, and use a usb computer mic and do a voice over.

Jeff.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded the manual for your Canon Vixia HF W-10 camera, I do not see a connection for an external microphone for that camera.

What you can do is use an external audio recorder, of which there are several models avaliable, The audio recorder can use built in microphones or an external high quality Microphone.

The advantage of the audio recorder, is it can be placed close the sound source. They are small light weight devices.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Larry Mac [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I can't see any real need to connect the camera to the computer to record live. I'd simply record with the camera and transfer the video to the computer via the cameras SDHC memory card or if using internal storage transfer via usb cable for editing. In my view, often easier to simply use the SDHC memory card.

The camera mic should be rather good, if you want different audio, one could use the video stream in the timeline, mute that audio, and use a usb computer mic and do a voice over.

Jeff.

Then perhaps I got the wrong micorphone since it onlly has a USB plub in.
Larry Mac [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I downloaded the manual for your Canon Vixia HF W-10 camera, I do not see a connection for an external microphone for that camera.

What you can do is use an external audio recorder, of which there are several models avaliable, The audio recorder can use built in microphones or an external high quality Microphone.

The advantage of the audio recorder, is it can be placed close the sound source. They are small light weight devices.

When you open the plate on the back of the camera there are three ports. One for HDMI, one for recharge and connetion to the computer and a small plug in circular port, but I believe that is for a heaadset.
Larry Mac [Avatar]
[Post New]
Perhaps I can clarify what I visualize. Sitting in fromnt of the camera talking into the microphone while seeing the two pieces come together in the software PowerDirector 365. That may not even be possible with this software.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When you open the plate on the back of the camera there are three ports. One for HDMI, one for recharge and connetion to the computer and a small plug in circular port, but I believe that is for a heaadset.

That small circular port (between the usb charge at the bottom and the HDMI at the top) would be the AV port, it's used with a special pigtail cable to connect the camera to AV connections, basically the older RCA type connects, yellow (video), red (right), and white (left) audio which one can use instead of HDMI to connect directly to a suitable TV for camera to TV playback.

Jeff
Larry Mac [Avatar]
[Post New]

That small circular port (between the usb charge at the bottom and the HDMI at the top) would be the AV port, it's used with a special pigtail cable to connect the camera to AV connections, basically the older RCA type connects, yellow (video), red (right), and white (left) audio which one can use instead of HDMI to connect directly to a suitable TV for camera to TV playback.

Jeff

Thanks wasnt sure what it was for. No help in my problem. Thought maybe microphone or headset. lol.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Perhaps I can clarify what I visualize. Sitting in fromnt of the camera talking into the microphone while seeing the two pieces come together in the software PowerDirector 365. That may not even be possible with this software.
I'm still not grasping your intent, what are the two pieces coming together in the software?

Basically, you are sitting in front of the camera and the camera is recording your video and audio to the SDHC card. You can remove the SDHC card from the camera and load this SDHC card unto your PC and transfer your recorded video to the PC. You can then bring in the recorded video and edit in PD19. Additionally, if you want, you can now use your computer usb mic to add detail or create a voice overlay. For instance, you could freeze frame video/audio, add additional detailed narration via the computer usb mic if desired.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Larry Mac - Try this: Record your audio with the usb mike with the Windows Sound Recorder or with Audacity(freeware) while you are recording your video with the Canon camcorder. You can do the audio sync later in PD18.