Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio Director 11 Default File Type
simonharding [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2020 09:41 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a default file type setting in Audio Director 11?

Every time I produce a file the default save setting seems to be M4A.
On the previous version I always had this set to WAV, but I cant seem to find any way to change this in the settings or preferences.
[Post New]
Hello simonharding,

Welcome to the AudioDirector forum laughing

Like you, I can find no way to set a default output format.

Within each session, ADR11 recalls the most recently used file-type setting. That is consistent with previous versions.

After closing & re-opening ADR11, it reverts to another format. I think that's consistent with previous versions too, but I'm unable to confirm at the moment.

Though it may have been a useful setting to have in Preferences, I haven't found it to interfere with workflow substantially.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
simonharding [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2020 09:41 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
This is very strange.
In ADR10, the default file type was the first in the list WAV.
With ADR11 the default is always M4A - which is half way down the list.
Since I never use M4A I cant understand why this choice seems to be remembered each time.
Could there be a link with Power Director settings?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with what PIX says, and on my system AD5, 6 and 11 all default to M4A. .WAV has to be selected each and every time unless I produce multiple clips in a single session.

There is a problem with saved projects however. In AD5, I can import a clip, produce it as a .WAV file and then save the project. When I reopen the project, the default Produce format is still .WAV.

However, if I do the same steps in AD6 and AD11, when I reopen the project the default format is APE (Compression level High) in AD6 and FLAC (Compression level 5) in AD11!

Interestingly, both AD 6 and 11 show the proper .WAV format if I open the AD5 project, so something is wrong with AD projects startying at v6 where the output profile is not saved correctly.

I have packed 3 projects in this public OneDrive folder for additional testing.

The behavior of the packed projects is identical to what I've described above with the excetion that the packed AD5 project doesn't bring up the .WAV default in ASD6 or AD11 the way that a non-packed AD5 project will, so that's another thing for CL to look into.
[Post New]
Thank you, optodata for your investigations.

I've now been able to check all versions back to ADR7. I don't have earlier versions installed, but optodata's observations of ADR5 & ADR6 are consistent with what I've found.

I'm still testing various options & don't mind admitting that I'm having a little trouble assigning clear patterns.

When I open optodata's packed projects, or other saved projects, in ADR7, 8, & 9, then go to produce the "default" format (i.e. selected by ADR) is APE (.ape). With ADR10, it's FLAC (.flac). ADR11 offers FLAC (.flac) as default for packed projects, but APE (.ape) as default for other saved projects.

With all that opening & closing of projects in different versions, & starting new projects, I was seeing (what I thought were) inconsistencies, but then realised that the "default" output format offered by ADR (across all versions) was dependent on the format of the imported media.

On a side note, in all this time of using ADR it had never occurred to me that ADR projects (unlike PDR) are backwards compatible. e.g. an ADR11 project can be opened with ADR7.

Back to the original question, I have found no version of ADR where the user can set a default file type as the output.

I'll continue to scratch around, but will also seek clarification from the team at CyberLink.

PIX PIX YouTube channel