Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Split a movie in Powerdirector into two halves
MickeyB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2013 17:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have a window with a large bar down the middle.
I would like to split a movie into two halves to show around the bar down the middle.

Anyone know how to do this?

I have PowerDirector 14.

Thanks, Mickey

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2020 10:12

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thre are plenty of ways to do what i think you're asking, but it would be really helpful if you could post a screenshot of the clip, and even better if you could mark it up to show what you want each half to look like.

The amount of editing required will also depend on whether this is a stationary shot from a tripod or if there is any motion - including tripod panning/zooming or any handheld motion.
MickeyB [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am just doing videos projected on a window for holiday animations from inside the house onto a window.
When I project from the inside I have a 6 inch bar down the middle of the window that blocks a portion of the video.
I was hoping to be able to split the video in half and have a 6" space in the middle so I don't block that much of the video.

I use powerdirector 14 to edit videos.

Let me know if you have any sugggestions, please.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's a lot of new info and I still have some questions.

Where is the blocking bar located, on the inside window (that you're projecting through) or on the outside window? Also how are people able to see the video when you say you're projecting onto a window? Is there any way to set up a screen outside or move the projector so you don't have a bar in the way at all?

I ask because splitting the video in half means you'll have to move each half away from the center, and that also moves the content at the left & right edges completely offscreen.

Take a look at the attached samples that I've simulated being projected onto a window. In my opinion, having a bar in the middle isn't great but splitting the video in half so the middle can be seen (but still split in half) is worse.
[Thumb - split halves samples.png]
 Filename
split halves samples.png
[Disk]
 Description
3 different views
 Filesize
16102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
MickeyB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I am projecting from inside.
The window, is two Windows placed next to each other.
This creates about a 6" bar between them.

Yes. I understand that splitting the video sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I just wanted to try it out for some projects.

Any sugestions on how to do this?
optodata
[Post New]
You're going to need to calibrate what 6" means in terms of pixels, and one way to do that is to make a grid or a full screen of letters for your projector then find the exact places that the bar cuts them off.

Next place your clip on the timeline then double-click on it to open the PiP Designer. Click on the Mask tab and select the one near the bottom with half the area covered. You'll also need to uncheck the Maintain mask aspect ratio box and drag the left & right edges to fill the screen. It should look like this:

Click Save, then copy the clip and paste the new copy on the track directly below the original so they're in sync. Open the new clip in the PiP Designer, go to the Mask tab and check the Invert mask box. You should now see the right half of your clip.

The next step is to move each side of the clip away from the center, so with the right half open click on the Properties tab and set the Position X value to 0.550 to start with. Click Save and open the original clip and change its Position X value to 0.450 the click Save.

You'll now have each half split down the center, and you'll then have to play around with the spacing to get the width between the clips just right. Increasing the Position X control shifts the clip to the right; decreasing it moves to the left. Each count = 1 pixel. If you put a piece of tape on your screen that marks where your cutoff is from the first step, you can click the up/down arrow for the Position X control and dial in the exact offset value.

The good news is that once you've got everything calibrated like this, you're free to change the content at any time by dragging a new clip directly onto the left or right section then choose Replace. The new clips will then have the correct spacing.