Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director importing two copies of same video
DebbieF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 28, 2020 17:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

For some reason, recently Power Director has started importing two copies of the same video into the media library when I either drag a video onto the PD window or use File->Import.

I have PD 13 and haven't changed anything with it for years.

After it started happening, I tried re-installing it, but it still does the same thing.

Can anyone tell me why this might have started happening and more importantly, how to stop it from doing that?

Debbie
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Check to see if you have two files of the same size in your import folder. Use file explorer to examine the properties of each video file that is the same. Look carefully at the file name. One may have the suffix copy appended to the file name. This happen to me when I allow a utility to make a backup copy in the same folder.

Delete the extra copy.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
DebbieF, can you post a pic of your media library after import of a single video so we can see the two copies for additional insight to your issue.

Are you by chance talking a small folder in the lower right corner of an imported video clip in the media library that when opened appears to have the same video in it again?

Jeff
DebbieF [Avatar]
[Post New]
@JL_JL

Here is the screenshot showing two instances of the same video in the media library. all I did was to drag it from File Explorer and there is definitely only one instance of that file in that folder.

When I delete the one on the left and then try to add the remaining one to the timeline, I get the error shown on the second screenshot.

Adding the one on the right to the timeline produces no error.

Debbie
[Thumb - pd-double-import.jpg]
 Filename
pd-double-import.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - pd-double-impor-error.jpg]
 Filename
pd-double-impor-error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2020 00:43

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you hover the mouse cursor over each clip you'll see a pop-up window showing the full name. Are they identical? You can also right-click on each to show Properties and also Open Folder Location. Hopefully the answer will be in what those options show.
DebbieF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you hover the mouse cursor over each clip you'll see a pop-up window showing the full name. Are they identical? You can also right-click on each to show Properties and also Open Folder Location. Hopefully the answer will be in what those options show.

Yes, they are identical paths and filenames.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I honestly don't have any idea what's going on. The good news is that having extra copies of clips in the Media Library doesn't really affect anything. PD isn't creating any new content on your hard drive, for example, I can't see how it would actually impact your projects.

What happens when you drag a copy to the timeline? Does only 1 clip in the media library have a green checkmark or do both of them? If only one does, right-click on an empty space in the library and choose Remove All Unused Content from Library to purge the duplicate/phantom clip.

You can also import all your intended project clips and place them on the timeline before purging all the unused ones in one step.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
DebbieF, any chance you can share (google drive, dropbox,....) one of the source files that shows duplicate on import. Are these by chance some old TV capture files? I know for like the old DVR-MS TV capture files I believe PD13 converts on import but I don't recall you actually getting two copies. Other thought would be a multi content file, sharing the file may help resolve.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, they are identical paths and filenames.

Thank you for the screenshots. I have seen the same exact problems with live mobile streaming videos when the session on the server is saved to a file and then downloaded for editing. This can happen when the live data stream bitrate drops significantly like in an enclosed area or in the rain. This causes the breaks in streaming data and can be a problem to edit. Each break can generate a new thumbnail in the media library. See this screen recording on importing two such files: https://youtu.be/e--a7EhrcxM .

Such files can sometimes be edited successfully. Most of the time I find it necessary to run the file through HandBrake(freeware) to clean it up. I would then import the file for editing. The problem is with the video file and not with PowerDirector.

EDIT: Sharing the source file as suggested will further help to see the exact issue and find a fix for the issue.
DebbieF [Avatar]
[Post New]
@JL_JL,

That does sound like it could be the problem, as these are TV recording files from a Humax Freeview recorder.

The strange thing is that I've extracted recordings from this machine and edited out the ad breaks in PD all year without this happening. It's only just started happening in the last month or so.

I'll try @tomasc's HandBrake idea to see if that works and, if not, I'll post one of the recordings here to see if anyone can figure out what's wrong with the file.

Debbie