Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
need help deleting a section
RKelly5327 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2020 13:37 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
First of all, I'm a newbie with PD also. PD 18 does tons more than I need or even want to do. Maybe that's why I'm having such trouble. I have a video done by an iPhone for Facebook which I've already reduced to the segment I want, but there is a segment in the middle that is about 20 seconds of dead air. I can't get the hang of deleting that segment. I see the timeline numbers and know what they are, but there is no way to translate those numbers to define the area I want to remove. When I use the Trim function it brings up the Trim window with tabs that remind of the tabs on the old typewriters that were used to set the margins. That probably gives you an idea of my age. I'm not computer illterate by any means as I've built every desktop I've had except the first one and have repaired many laptops until it got so it wasn't practical to do that anymore.

When I try to use those tabs and select "play", it goes clear back to the beginning of the video. It doesn't seem to make any difference where I set them, it still goes back to the beginning when played. Another thing, it seems that when a section is trimmed, it outputs to a new file. I don't want a new file. I want to delete that dead air, not save it or use it for something else. If there was a way to use the numbers shown that mark the beginning and ending of that dead air as it is being played, that would help a lot! But I see no way to do that. I don't seem able to mark the track in any way to eliminate the dead air other than using Trim. And the instructions are very meager to explain how the markers are even accessed.

Okay folks. That's about as good as I can explain it. I hope someone here can expalin it thoroughly enough and clear enough that I can get the file edited the way I want it and get it posted.

Thanks a bunch.

Ron K.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
For what you want to do, the Trim tool is overkill.

All you need to do is use the timeline Split tool two times then right-click on the unwanted middle section and choose Remove > Remove and Fill Gap just like this brief video shows:

RKelly5327 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote For what you want to do, the Trim tool is overkill.

All you need to do is use the timeline Split tool two times then right-click on the unwanted middle section and choose Remove > Remove and Fill Gap just like this brief video shows:

Overkill, just what I needed. ha ha. The video keeps going on to something else. I'll see if I can find the tool you speak of and go from there. At least this gives me more to go on. The help files are way too limited for a newbie like me.

Thanks for your help. I'll get this sooner or later. Right now it'll be later cuz I am going to go have a cup of tea. :

Ron K
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Ron

If it helps here is a picture. Move the playhead (aka scrubber) to where you want to split and press the split tool. Then move to the next point and press again.

You'll have 3 clips now and can delete the bit you don't want as Optodata says.
[Thumb - Split tool in PWD.png]
 Filename
Split tool in PWD.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
203 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
RKelly5327 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ron

If it helps here is a picture. Move the playhead (aka scrubber) to where you want to split and press the split tool. Then move to the next point and press again.

I had a good concept of what you said in the first one and what you say here clarifies it even more. I haven't had a chance to work on it but hope to sometime today.

Thanks so much.

Ron
RKelly5327 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ron

This helped and worked like a charm! Just what I wanted! THANKS A ZILLION!

Ron